CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Corn Snakes Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snakes Wanted Looking for something special and you don't know who has it for sale? Post what you are looking for here and see if you get any bites.

blood red stripe

Old 05-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
Hellstrom
Motley is affects the pattern, like stripe. It affects the saddles, usually making spots between them. Also, there are no belly checkers with motley. You're going to want (and should be able to afford) a normal bloodred.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
Mitchell Mulks
Ah, another broke college kid like myself! Haha. Yes, the one you sent us a link to is a normal bloodred. Motley bloodreds, as others have previously stated, are just as expensive as bloodred stripes. The reason for this is because normal bloodreds (the diffusion gene) reduce the lateral blotches on the animal and also leave the belly scales absent of any pigment (white bellies). Well, both the stripe gene and the motley gene do the same thing (they share the same locus). Therefore, if you produce a stripe animal, it's almost impossible to tell if it's also expressing the diffusion gene without breeding trials, because the stripe gene essentially masks the phenotypic indicators you'd use to identify whether it's expressing the diffusion gene. The same thing goes for motley animals, as motley snakes have white bellies and highly reduced lateral blotches. Essentially without breeding back to a motley snake, you wouldn't be able to tell whether you have a bloodred motley or simply a bloodred. It's these reasons that the high prices exist for bloodred motleys and bloodred stripes, and not for simple bloodreds.

Mitch

Old 05-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
neiman07
that what im getting this year! a breeding pair of striped blood reds if of course there is a boy and girl in this clutch i am waiting on! but the gu i get them from is pretty cheap i think its like 50 bucks for a pair! he has a sale where he throws a bunch of the new babies in a tank and there only 19.95 for a few days and he has sun kissed lavenders and ghost bloods.. everything.. i guess you can always get a hold of me if you haven't found what you wanted by then and maybe if i find you one you could pay me the shipping and the money for the snake!

Old 05-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
cornbreadandmilk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Mulks View Post
Ah, another broke college kid like myself! Haha. Yes, the one you sent us a link to is a normal bloodred. Motley bloodreds, as others have previously stated, are just as expensive as bloodred stripes. The reason for this is because normal bloodreds (the diffusion gene) reduce the lateral blotches on the animal and also leave the belly scales absent of any pigment (white bellies). Well, both the stripe gene and the motley gene do the same thing (they share the same locus). Therefore, if you produce a stripe animal, it's almost impossible to tell if it's also expressing the diffusion gene without breeding trials, because the stripe gene essentially masks the phenotypic indicators you'd use to identify whether it's expressing the diffusion gene. The same thing goes for motley animals, as motley snakes have white bellies and highly reduced lateral blotches. Essentially without breeding back to a motley snake, you wouldn't be able to tell whether you have a bloodred motley or simply a bloodred. It's these reasons that the high prices exist for bloodred motleys and bloodred stripes, and not for simple bloodreds.

Mitch
okay so there are no physical diffrence between motely and normals . so its the recessive gene thats valuable within the motelys? so i am still not understand what makes the motely so much more expensive?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #15
crackerhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbreadandmilk View Post
okay so there are no physical diffrence between motely and normals . so its the recessive gene thats valuable within the motelys? so i am still not understand what makes the motely so much more expensive?
There is a HUGE physical difference between Motley and Normal animals. Motley is a recessive gene that changes the pattern you see on a corn snake.
These are Motley patterned corn snakes
Name:  mot.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  125.4 KB
The difficulty Mitch is describing has to do with the combination of motley or stripe with the bloodred/diffused gene which is also recessive. Both Bloodred/Diffused and Motley/Stripe effect belly checking and side patterns so it is hard to tell when you have an animal that is exhibiting both at the same time.
The expensive comes in because there are so few of them for sale from reputable breeders. You will see the same phenomenon with morph combos like charcoal stripe. There just are not many around; supply and demand.

Neiman07 you are taking a big chance with a person who is selling so far below market with an animal so hard to to id and in such demand. I would not pay $1 or $1000 for a blood stripe unless I saw that both parents were homo Blood Stripes. I hope you are not basing a breeding program on this stock.

Terri

Old 05-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #16
neiman07
im not believe me! he just told me he always has a ton and put them on sale for a few days to see what he can get rid of before he puts them up for sale at normal price! =] if they arent what im looking for then im not gettin them, but if i could at least get a bloodred anything for that price i think i might take it lol

Old 05-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #17
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
There is a HUGE physical difference between Motley and Normal animals. Motley is a recessive gene that changes the pattern you see on a corn snake.
These are Motley patterned corn snakes
Attachment 145116
The difficulty Mitch is describing has to do with the combination of motley or stripe with the bloodred/diffused gene which is also recessive. Both Bloodred/Diffused and Motley/Stripe effect belly checking and side patterns so it is hard to tell when you have an animal that is exhibiting both at the same time.
The expensive comes in because there are so few of them for sale from reputable breeders. You will see the same phenomenon with morph combos like charcoal stripe. There just are not many around; supply and demand.

Neiman07 you are taking a big chance with a person who is selling so far below market with an animal so hard to to id and in such demand. I would not pay $1 or $1000 for a blood stripe unless I saw that both parents were homo Blood Stripes. I hope you are not basing a breeding program on this stock.

Terri
The granite stripe I hatched by surprise in 2006 came from an amel bloodred mother and a bloodred father (Snafu's brother). Both were het for stripe. That is the only way to know for sure, unless you know for a fact that a striped parent is also homo bloodred.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
vetusvates
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post

Terri
I couldn't agree more.

Or maybe homozygous blood red, (known) heterozygous for stripe. The resulting stripes, if there were any, would be homozygous bloodred.
And they are still going to be in the three-figure prices previously stated above.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #19
Nanci
Well, I've got one, maybe two shots at them this season, crossing my fingers!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
vetusvates
LOL. And Nanci's are (probably, certainly almost) already spoken for, cb&m.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google