CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Wilma and Callisto 2014

Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #11
hypnoctopus
Well last week, neither of the snakes were in the mood, I guess. They both pretty much just ignored each other.

Tonight was a different story. Wilma was acting quite defensive, rattling her tail and thrashing away from Callisto. I really kept an eye on them to make sure I could intervene if it got too serious. It didn't seem to to deter Callisto and once he slithered over top of her, then she was do her twitching like normal, so they had one more successful breeding today.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #12
hypnoctopus
Wilma has been eating small/medium adult mice for quite a while now, but before I started breeding her, I bumped her up to large adult mice. I've been weighing her every week, and the first week on the large mice, she gained 10 grams. Now, from last week to this week, she's gained 32! She's looking kind of stockier, too, although I don't feel any eggs.

One of the things I'm looking forward to about this breeding is that both Wilma and Callisto are very sweet snakes, so I'm hoping their babies will have their wonderful temperament.

Here are some not-so-good pictures of her:

Old 04-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #13
hypnoctopus
Well, I tried pairing them again this morning and I'm pretty certain Wilma was not having it. Callisto was climbing all over her, but whenever he would put his tail near hers, she would whip hers away. And the whole time she was buzzing her tail, and coiling herself into a small ball, so he couldn't even rest his head on top of hers. I separated them after about 10 minutes, so hopefully Wilma wasn't too stressed by it.

I think I'll give them one more opportunity, and if Wilma isn't interested, then that will be it.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #14
hypnoctopus
Wilma is now in blue.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #15
Christen
Yay!! This is so exciting!! Welcome to the longest shed cycle ever. At least it feels that way.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #16
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
Yay!! This is so exciting!! Welcome to the longest shed cycle ever. At least it feels that way.
I am definitely really excited! She feels kind of puffy, like if I gently squeeze her, it feels like there's air or space inside her. Does that sound normal?

Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #17
Christen
Yeah it does sound normal. If you put a soft cloth over your hand and let her slither though your hand with slight pressure on the underside of her belly you should be able to feel the eggs.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #18
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christen View Post
Yeah it does sound normal. If you put a soft cloth over your hand and let her slither though your hand with slight pressure on the underside of her belly you should be able to feel the eggs.
Yep, I did exactly that. I think I can feel some lumps, but they aren't super noticeable. I have this super thin old pillow case that's perfect for snake palpating!

I made up a lay box for her full of damp sphagnum moss and she's all curled up inside it already.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #19
Christen
Oh good girl! With her mom I am not able to feel really pronounced egg bumps but I chalk it up to the fact she is always so jam packed with eggs. She always gives me 15 to 20 eggs.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #20
Kate
I'm SO EXCITED for you!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google