CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Corn Snakes Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snakes Wanted Looking for something special and you don't know who has it for sale? Post what you are looking for here and see if you get any bites.

Breeder loans wanted!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #21
stephen
Well

Do you have potential homes for all the babys? Do you have enough money and time to raise the babys if not? Why would you want to breed more snakes at a time when the market is flooded with so many? I still have some of the best stock Ghost Bloods sitting here,I havent been trying to hard to sell them, but it maybe very hard to get rid of what you produce, unless your plan is to keep them all. I could have been first to produce alot of new morphs last year,but I choose not too.This year I will breed some but I am first trying to get some buyers before I breed,other breedings I am prepared to keep all the babys

Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #22
Carinata
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
Do you have potential homes for all the babys? Do you have enough money and time to raise the babys if not? Why would you want to breed more snakes at a time when the market is flooded with so many? I still have some of the best stock Ghost Bloods sitting here,I havent been trying to hard to sell them, but it maybe very hard to get rid of what you produce, unless your plan is to keep them all. I could have been first to produce alot of new morphs last year,but I choose not too.This year I will breed some but I am first trying to get some buyers before I breed,other breedings I am prepared to keep all the babys
I already have several buyers of the babies, I have pinkies, I have the time and space. Thanks for your concern.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #23
wstphal
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
I am only planning 1 clutch per year, starting next year. At worst I will end up with maybe 20 hatchlings. I can afford to feed them until until I figure out how to place them. And I can afford to give away my non-holdbacks if I have to in order to get them decent homes.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #24
Carinata
I understand where his concern is but I have things in place. I am not worried.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #25
Suzy
David, I'm curious as to whether or not you're referring to this year or next year? If you're talking about this year, I'd definitely hold off until next year. You should take quarantine practices seriously, and make sure that regardless of who you're getting your new snake from, you make sure it's clean. This thread reminded me of a quote from Rich Z speaking of a similar thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
I sure hate to be a wet blanket, but I really need to say something here.

If ANYONE engages in breeding loans, please make certain to get the new animals in at least 90 days or more BEFORE you plan to introduce them to your colony. Quarantine is not just for new purchases. That is also for any new animal that comes into your possession from ANYONE else. No exceptions. Certainly no one would maliciously send an infected snake to another, but suppose the source just got in a new animal three days prior to sending out the loaner, and didn't quarantine that new animal. And it as carrying a pathogen that infected the loaner before any symptoms were noticed. Then 30 days later that original infected animal dies. Then the loaner dies while it is in YOUR collection. Then everything you bred it to dies. And every other animal you touched dies as well. Wouldn't that just ruin your day?

Do you REALLY want that to happen? If you think it is impossible, you just are not looking at this danger clearly at all.
Food for thought.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #26
Carinata
I would quarentine for 60 days or the person could quarentine Doc for how ever long they want. I repped ya BTW nice post!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #27
airenlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ@PJCReptiles View Post
His sister or half sister, Valerie, bred in 2008 with a Normal phet anery, bloodred, lava. So I am sitting on a pair of bloods/diffused het amel 66% anery and hopefully lava is in there too! Doc was going to breed Valerie, but she is with Josh now. She would a good one for Doc too. I know Josh said he as using her to prove out his male but maybe next year Doc will be a very busy guy!

I do know that Valerie is an Amel het anery, bloodred for sure! Can you say Avalanche?
David and I have already been discussing sending Valerie his way, permanently. We'll see how everything works out this year...

Old 03-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #28
wstphal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
David, I'm curious as to whether or not you're referring to this year or next year? If you're talking about this year, I'd definitely hold off until next year. You should take quarantine practices seriously, and make sure that regardless of who you're getting your new snake from, you make sure it's clean. <snipped> Food for thought.
Good point. I think close interrogation of the lender would help too. I mean, if I were going to lend out Icabod, I could tell the borrower about my husbandry practices & when I last introduced a new snakel. I could quiz Starsevol about the same sorts of issues if I borrowed Syko.

I will definitely keep this in mind. Thank you!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #29
Carinata
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
David and I have already been discussing sending Valerie his way, permanently. We'll see how everything works out this year...
Doc would love to make love with his sister!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #30
starsevol
My plan is to send anybody I am loaning out in the fall, before bru. Then you would have a nice long time to quarantine. I may be going in for surgery in December, and even though I have someone to help me with the animals, the fewer I have here would be the fewer to worry about....

As far as finding homes for the babies..I am not all that worried. I have a website and can do a few internet sales, plus with breeding loans you only get half a clutch. So that is half as many babies that need placing. And if worse comes to worse, I do have a wholesaler in the area, plus a few pet shops. I can also keep quite a few for quite awhile if need be...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google