CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Hasn't shed since 10/29/10?? Help!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
scockrell02
Question Hasn't shed since 10/29/10?? Help!

We got our normal corn beginning of Oct when he was about 1-2 mos old. He eats 1 frozen pinkie every 6-7 days. Had his first shed with us 10/29/10, but has not shed since! At least, that we know of. We have not noticed his eyes going blue or any skin in the tank. The temps here in AR have been down in the 30s and 40s in daytime. His cold side is around 68-74 and the hot (heated by UTH) stays around 86-87. He does alternate from cold to hot hides and doesn't show any signs of stress. He's still eating regularly every week and hasn't ever regurged. But again, he has not shed! We noticed today that he has some loose scales on top of his head by his nose which looks like the first time when he started to shed, but his eyes haven't been blue. We've handled him everyday this week except for Sun-Tues (after feeding) and today's the first we've noticed this.

Should I be worried or am I paranoid? We're going to add a humid hide, but since we just fed him again today, hubbie wants to wait a day before putting in the tank. I'm not sure the exact age of him, maybe 5 months old. Any input more than welcome!

Old 01-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
jacki3x_04
I think your a little paranoid lol. Not to be rude or anything but you asked. The snake shedding depends on the rate of growth. I mean babies shed more regulary then adults. So I wouldn't worry, add that humid hide and see what happens. Keep an eye on his color and if he isn't behaving in a weird way then I think hes just fine.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
scockrell02
Thanks! I think I'm paranoid too. He is getting little longer and wider, so he hasn't stopped growing. Just think it's weird it's been so long.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Nanci
Has he gained weight? A snake of that age should normally be shedding about once a month.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Outcast
I have a baby desert glossy that I got a little while back that did the same thing. "Her" first shed since I got her was two days ago. I was getting really worried because the skin on her face had looked a little rough since the day I got her, I think she has had quite a few bad sheds before she came into my care, and even though this last one was pretty bad, I helped her out and she shed everything and looks great now.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
jacki3x_04
Quote:
Originally Posted by scockrell02 View Post
Thanks! I think I'm paranoid too. He is getting little longer and wider, so he hasn't stopped growing. Just think it's weird it's been so long.
Okay I am glad you think so to, didn't want to sound like I was being mean or anything lol.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #7
scockrell02
I don't have a scale or anything, but just by holding him he feels like he has. He definitely has gotten longer. Also, when we first got him, he was the width of my pinkie and now he's about my ring/middle finger. Not exactly accurate, but you get the idea. He's pooing ok, sometimes on us but only a couple times. Notice him drinking water after we handle him for a little, assuming from the exercise. He's not hostile in the least bit, quite the opposite. Um, can't really think of anything else.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
scockrell02
Oh yeah, he's had good sheds. The last one was perfect head to tail and he'd shed 2xs at the store before we got him.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:09 AM   #9
bitsy
If he's definitely grown, then he's definitely shed and you've just missed it. Sometimes they can end up in a tiny ball of skin rather than a long thin strip.

A snake's scales don't grow, so they have to shed them. I's impossible for them to grow and not shed so it sounds like all is well with your little 'un.

You could maybe increase the frequency of feeding to once every 5 days if you're concerned, but TBH your current regime is fine. Temps sound just right.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
shedding problem