CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Aggressive behavior

Old 05-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
mpiotrowsky78
Aggressive behavior

Hello I have a 9 month old corn that has become aggressive and staying in hide. Never used to be like this. I have had him since February.
We started with a 10gl moved to a 55 now finally in a 20 tall. Won't come out at all..may come out at night but we are asleep.
I have to use a snake hook to find him but he comes out fighting.
His temp is 75 to 80 humidity at 40.
Thank you.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Old 05-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
"Aggressive and Staying in his hide" are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

"Aggressive" means it chases you around the house like an aggressive Pit Bull.

Something that hides all the time is not aggressive, it's either sick, scared, or not comfortable.

The fact your snake may "Strike at you" does not mean he's aggressive, after all, "You" are invading his space. You are the aggressor, he's obviously scared and wants to be left alone. So the question is, Why?

1. It's a known fact snakes like to hide a lot coming in to a shed. They don't like to be bothered during this time.

2. You stated temps were 75 to 80. Those are not ideal temps for a corn snake. I have found many cranky snakes change their attitudes when the temps are adjusted. The cool side of the cage should be around 70 to 75, the warm side around 82 to 88. (Optimum numbers would be 73 & 85.)

3. You are using a snake hook to get him out. That probably freaks him out too. I might be inclined to use a snake hook on a 5 foot long rattle snake, but there really is no need for a snake hook on a baby corn snake.

I'm going to suggest, either your snake is scared to death of you, it's about to shed, or it's uncomfortable.

Perhaps you can start there.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
mpiotrowsky78
Thanks I'll give a try. I'm thinking of using a heat pad..my sand boas had one under there original tank..there 55 does not. The picture on the left is the corns tank..the right boas.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
mpiotrowsky78
What about putting one or 2 more hides in and removing some of the bedding?

Old 05-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #5
mpiotrowsky78
May use a glove for a while...may be a phase he is going through. Time will tell.
How should I get the heat where you suggest?

Old 05-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #6
mpiotrowsky78
When we first got him never an issue picking him up.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
Karl_Mcknight
with a thermostat. Every heat source should have a thermostat. Otherwise it just gets hotter and hotter and hotter. You have a thermostat on your household A/C don't you?

Old 05-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
mpiotrowsky78
Yes we will invest in two.thank you

Old 05-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #9
Rich Z
Sometimes it is just hard to understand what is going through a snakes's mind. I remember a time when I wanted to put hideboxes in with all the snakes I had. So I was using everything I could think of. Cardboard boxes, paper towel roll inserts, you name it. But an odd thing happened. I found that a LOT of the normally good feeders I had suddenly went off feed. This went on for a couple of weeks, and just on a hunch, I removed the hide boxes from their cages. They immediately started feeding again. They gave no other outward appearance of being uncomfortable or agitated, they just stopped feeding because of that hide box being in their cage.

And remember that every single snake has it's own personality, just like people have. There are always some that are just not going to tolerate being around humans very well, no matter what you do. No, it is not common, but it IS real. I had a few of them myself and they just went elsewhere to live.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:24 PM   #10
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Sometimes it is just hard to understand what is going through a snakes's mind. I remember a time when I wanted to put hideboxes in with all the snakes I had. So I was using everything I could think of. Cardboard boxes, paper towel roll inserts, you name it. But an odd thing happened. I found that a LOT of the normally good feeders I had suddenly went off feed. This went on for a couple of weeks, and just on a hunch, I removed the hide boxes from their cages. They immediately started feeding again. They gave no other outward appearance of being uncomfortable or agitated, they just stopped feeding because of that hide box being in their cage.

And remember that every single snake has it's own personality, just like people have. There are always some that are just not going to tolerate being around humans very well, no matter what you do. No, it is not common, but it IS real. I had a few of them myself and they just went elsewhere to live.
I think if you keep corns long enough you will see things that don't make sense. I sold a nice sub-adult corn to a lady and she said it refused to eat and didn't want to be handled. She said the female corn was losing weight as she hadn't eaten for several weeks. I checked out her vivarium and temperatures and all seemed fine, but once the corn saw me it coiled on my hand as if to say " take me home." I took her home and gave the lady a different one that liked her vivarium. The female ate the first day back home, and definitely loved to be handled. Call it recognition, or a familiar scent, but some corns do know their keeper.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google