CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Breeding issues

Old 10-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
Noahdbultman
Breeding issues

Im back!

Well my male and female were in their own type of brumation for about 2 months. I have then warming them up for about two weeks now and was wondering why they haven't bred yet. Just wondering if there is any tips

Also the average temp during brumation was 60-70. They are at about 80-90

Old 10-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
Shiari
They weren't cool enough. Brumation needs to stay in the low 60s or they are too warm for it to work.

Even then, when I've brumated, my females didn't breed until at least a month after.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
daddio207
I was having a discussion with a breeder about double clutching and off season breeding a few months ago and why the percentage of success is low. We both had the same thing in mind at the onset of the conversation. Snakes can sense the seasons. More precisely they can sense the long term barometric pressure changes. We also thought that chances of off season breeding and double clutching would have more success in 3 season states.
Breeding with my corns is tied into change of the seasons more than temperature of brumation. Do to a move last year I had no choice but to brumate at 68 degrees and all the corns that bred in prior years did so this spring. My other species on the other hand did not except for a pair of beauty snakes which will mate anytime I pair them up.
Since your in Cal. keep trying once a week. No harm will come in continuing to try. I will be interested to see if your successful in relationship to our thoughts on off season breeding. Good luck

Old 10-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
Noahdbultman
Thanks for the help! And im sure i will update on the progress. Thanks again!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google