• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Calls to boycott Arizona are spreading like a virus

1- That would require all the states to pass similar laws
2- That won't solve the problem of 11-13 million currently here. Like I said in a previous post, they would rather risk being nicely asked for their documents than going back to where they came from. It is simply unrealistic to think otherwise.
Which leads us right back to the other problem in that the federal government is NOT enforcing the law that's already supposed to be taking care of this problem. [whine]Oh, but "those people" are filing important needs in this country and doing jobs noone else wants to do.[/whine] Nice circle.

D80

It's not the being asked, but the being caught being illegal they should fear.... people with the right papers are not the target, nor should they be afraid. The goal is to scare the people without the right papers being asked for them with the risk of being caught....

Like I said, they would rather gamble with the chance of being caught rather than scare away back to their countries. They will have a better chance to succeed while "gambling" here.

Which leads us right back to the other problem in that the federal government is NOT enforcing the law that's already supposed to be taking care of this problem. [whine]Oh, but "those people" are filing important needs in this country and doing jobs noone else wants to do.[/whine] Nice circle.
D80

Indeed, that's why the nation needs immigration reform while securing the borders and issuing a new system that controls who can work here (an improved SS card?).
And no whining... The reality is because "those people" are exploited, they are paid very low wages, which brings the price of goods and services down. That's a fact.
And yes, they do jobs no one want to do FOR THE SAME PRICE THEY DO, but if you raise wages, those jobs would be filled indeed. We will just have to pay more for almost everything.

Indeed, that's why the nation needs immigration reform while securing the borders and issuing a new system that controls who can work here (an improved SS card?).
What needs to be reformed? There's a law that says you can't be here illegally. Go home. Follow the law.

Yet, "society" sympathizes with these law breakers because they are good at doing menial labor and our legal, able, lazy citizens are content to suckle. If they are hard working and willing to do those jobs, then get the legal paperwork and become a citizen.

D80

What needs to be reformed? There's a law that says you can't be here illegally. Go home. Follow the law.

For 11-13 million to leave, again, unrealistic, not to mention inhumane if you take into consideration many have spent almost their entire lives here. Also, many of those illegals have American kids.

If they are hard working and willing to do those jobs, then get the legal paperwork and become a citizen.

Tying in with the "what needs to be reformed?" question, the guest workers program, which allows foreigners to temporarily work in the US agriculture, does not allow sufficient labor to come in. The quota of that type of visa needs to be raised.
It is most likely impossible (due to age restrictions, quota already met, time, education, money to pay for the visa, etc.) for a hard working illegal immigrant to get the legal paperwork hence they are here illegally.
Also, once you are in the US illegally, there is almost no way you can change that status... You are pretty much stuck in that condition. They can care less about citizenship since it is such a far dream. A permanent resident card (green card) is generally what they hope for.

Over here in Holland people are obliged to show papers for identification first time a cop asks for it, but they should only ask for it when there is a reason for suspicioun, I think just like AZ's new law. I'm not sure about why the law was signed a couple of years ago, but I think it had to do with terrorism. They mostly use it to identify people whom could be needed as a witness in case of an accident or fight or such. Further, for example a person involved in a fight can be taken to a police station when he is not carrying ID papers, which makes it easier to investigate what is going on.

DYK, I was so tempted to become an illegal alien when I was in Holland... Want to sponsor me? I'll start packing now... :grin01:

It is most likely impossible (due to age restrictions, quota already met, time, education, money to pay for the visa, etc.) for a hard working illegal immigrant to get the legal paperwork hence they are here illegally.
Also, once you are in the US illegally, there is almost no way you can change that status... You are pretty much stuck in that condition. They can care less about citizenship since it is such a far dream. A permanent resident card (green card) is generally what they hope for.

So, what you're saying is, if I walk into WalMart, grab myself a plasma TV, and IF I make it out the front door without being stopped, it's mine. No problem. No law broken. Legal. It's okay, because I need the TV, and it's already out of the door and in my possession, and it would take too much time to restock the item back into the store and all the hours I would have to put into my job to earn the money to buy that TV is just ridiculous. Heck, better yet, I'll grab two. My neighbor needs one too, and I'm a nice guy.

D80

So, going off on a tangent, if we gave the 11-13 million illegals already here amnesty, and then started taxing them- would that help anything???

I never said it would be no problem they are braking the law.
But if people has been stealing TV's from Walmart for the past 20 years, Walmart needs to figure out a way of making that stop, but Walmart simply won't be able to ask for and be granted all the stolen TV's back. ;)

But if people has been stealing TV's from Walmart for the past 20 years, Walmart needs to figure out a way of making that stop, but Walmart simply won't be able to ask for and be granted all the stolen TV's back. ;)

So, this law is like the electronics section getting a security guard to check suspicious looking customers in their department...because Wal-Mart as a whole isn't doing anything about it. Problem solved...

So, this law is like the electronics section getting a security guard to check suspicious looking customers in their department...because Wal-Mart as a whole isn't doing anything about it. Problem solved...

Hahaha, I like the analogy!
So instead of only one department hiring the security guards and making people go steal clothes instead, Walmart as a whole needs to improve security.
It is worth mentioning that those security guards at the electronic department may appear "intimidating" for many regular law abiding customers, who now will prefer to go shop for electronics at Best Buy.

Heck, better yet, I'll grab two. My neighbor needs one too, and I'm a nice guy.

D80

Me, me, me...I need one too.

One problem though....I'm too lazy to do it myself so can you bring it to my house. Does it require electricity? If so, can you pay my electric bill too? Oh yeah, don't forget to order me cable. :sidestep:

So, going off on a tangent, if we gave the 11-13 million illegals already here amnesty, and then started taxing them- would that help anything???

It might, but it would be a huge slap in the face to all those who came here legally....

Yes Walmart as a hole should solve the problem. That is the whole point of this law. The problem has existed for a very long time and has steadily gotten worse. Walmart has said lots of fancy sounding things but has not solved the problem. The electronics department has finally decided they were going to have to do it them selves or they were going to run out of inventory.

It might, but it would be a huge slap in the face to all those who came here legally....

I can see why they would feel like a slap in the face (due to all the hassle and money they had to go through) but what else can be done?
Besides, the new immigration reform supposedly have some requirements you have to meet, like speaking English, paying fines, paying back taxes, having a clean criminal record, etc. Wouldn't that make the slap less harsh?

I can see why they would feel like a slap in the face (due to all the hassle and money they had to go through) but what else can be done?
Besides, the new immigration reform supposedly have some requirements you have to meet, like speaking English, paying fines, paying back taxes, having a clean criminal record, etc. Wouldn't that make the slap less harsh?

JP, you would hate what I think should be done....so we won't even get into that, ok? :)

Back