CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Newbie here, couple of basic husbandry questions.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
AceSora
Newbie here, couple of basic husbandry questions.

Hello, I've never had a snake before and am hoping to adopt or buy a corn sometime next year. At the moment I'm doing research and there's two things i haven't been able to figure out. I would be super grateful if anyone here knows the answers (i did read the faq, it was very helpful).

1. Corn snakes should be fed in a separate container from their home container, but they should also not be disturbed 2 to 3 days after eating. How do you move them back into their home without risking regurgitation?

2. Spot cleaning every day is good, changing the substrate every one or two months is good, but I've read conflicting information on how often to wipe everything down/spray with cleaner in between. How often should i do that?

Thanks for any and all help!

Old 09-24-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
Frank Pinello
I have been breeding corn snakes for decades and here is what I do.

Other than feeding a newly hatch cornsnake it's first or second meal, I always feed them in their home container. But if you rather feed them in a separate container it should not be a problem to do one move back to it's home container as long as your not playing with the snake it should be fine.

I spot clean once a week or sometime twice a week if I notice anything between my usual spot clean schedule. I wipe down every other month with the substrate change more or less. Some corns seem to make more of a mess each week than others so they are in a more aggressive cleaning schedule than others.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
Twolunger
I do the same as Frank. I start off the hatchlings by feeding them in a deli cup. After they eat I take the top off the deli cup and place the cup in the hatchling's tank, or home container. When it climbs out I remove the deli cup. Once they are eating well I just feed them in their regular container. The whole idea behind feeding in a separate container is so that your corn doesn't equate your fingers with a prey item if you usually feed in their regular container.

Regarding spot cleaning of the substrate, I feed my adults or sub-adults and they usually defecate on the 3rd or 4th day, so that's when I spot clean. I scoop out the feces and any substrate near it with a plastic disposable spoon. I then wipe that spot with a paper towel wet with Natural Chemistry Healthy Habitat. It reduces odors and has enzymes to break down organic matter. I'm using aspen shavings as a substrate for the larger corns, and completely clean and disinfect each container at least once a month, sometimes more frequently.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
I feed my 4 year old in a separate container and after he's finished eating I move him back to his "Home Container." The part about "Not Handling" your snake for 2 days after eating does not mean you can't pick him up or move him. (Sometimes you have to wade through the bullcrap and interject some common sense.) It means don't take your snake out and play with him, don't handle him roughly, don't squeeze him....etc.... after eating. Simply picking him up and placing him back in his cage is not going to hurt him at all.

Depending on the age of the snake and the temps in the cage, most snakes will poop 2 to 5 days after eating. Babies usually 2 or 3 days after, adults 3 to 5 days. I always clean up the poop as soon as I notice it. Some corn snakes will poop in their water bowl. Mine does this sometimes. They also crawl through the water bowl. (I'm a stickler for fresh water.) The water bowl should be cleaned and refilled every day. I give the entire cage a good cleaning about every 2 weeks or twice a month.

I time the cage cleanings with the feeding schedule and since he's in another container eating a mouse, it's easy for me to clean his cage at the same time.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
AceSora
Thank you for the help! It makes sense that I would be able to move the corn back to its home container safely. I see that it varies slightly when different people clean. I will have a large (40 gallon approx) container so I will keep an eye on it but I imagine it shouldn't get dirty fast if spot cleaned.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:58 PM   #6
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceSora View Post
Thank you for the help! It makes sense that I would be able to move the corn back to its home container safely. I see that it varies slightly when different people clean. I will have a large (40 gallon approx) container so I will keep an eye on it but I imagine it shouldn't get dirty fast if spot cleaned.
There's more than one reason to completely clean the container/vivarium. Obviously you want to remove the solid feces, but keep in mind that the feces are loaded with bacteria. When a snake slithers through the feces, even dragging its tail through it, bacteria are spread to other parts of the substrate. As Karl noted, snakes do slither through their water bowls, or even defecate in them, causing contamination. Further, most snake keepers have no idea what, if any, internal parasites their snakes harbor. Very few people bother to have fecal exams done, since they cost so much. Depending upon the type of substrate used, it's usually prudent to replace it as often as possible, as low cost insurance for the health of your snake.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
AceSora
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks, I'll be sure to stay on top of that. Don't want my baby getting sick.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
Twolunger
Thanks for asking the questions. Others learn from the questions and responses, keeping in mind that we may each do things a bit differently.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #9
DeuceRon
Certainly can't beat these straight up answers from the experts.. Good stuff

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google