CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Best way to kill mice before freezing.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
crazyd82
Best way to kill mice before freezing.

I was thinking about raising mice for feeders but I'm not sure what's the best way to humanely kill them before freezing. What are your thoughts?

Old 11-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
Chip
I use CO2 on anything with fur, google "CO2 chamber" for instructions. How you set it up will depend on how many mice you are killing. If you only have a few mice to euth, cervical dislocation is fast and easy. I freeze pinks individually. As you'll probably see, there is disagreement on this topic, but after putting lots of mice down lots of ways, these are my preferred methods.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
crazyd82
Thanks for the info. I Google it and found some good directions on how to build and use one.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Ravenessa
this is why I buy already frozen.. I could never... They are so cute.. sniffles.. If I raised my own it'd be co2 for my choice as that is at least a gentle way to go.. I could never do anything else..

Old 12-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
Rigby & Marcy
I agree with Chip, I use a simple CO2 chamber of an old tupperware with some fishtank air hose, and a big ziplock bag to mix vinegar and baking soda. My only advice that I don't think is common knowledge, is to introduce the CO2 slowly at first. This way the mice will fall asleep before they notice anything. If you introduce it too quickly they will panic and it's not as humane.

If you have any questions about setting it up, please ask.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
Myca
I tried cervical dislocation. I failed so far. If they are young enough...I throw them in live. Mostly, I try to feed thawed. Fortunately, none of my snakes are picky.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
smigon
There are many posts on this subject, several on this page in fact. Scroll down and you will find the debates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenessa View Post
this is why I buy already frozen.. I could never... They are so cute.. sniffles.. If I raised my own it'd be co2 for my choice as that is at least a gentle way to go.. I could never do anything else..
Oh, there is no way I could do it myself either. I won't even watch that video! It's like I know deer hunting is a way to keep the population in check, but to pull the trigger between Bambi's eyes? NEVER!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google