CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

how long you nuke frozen mice?

Old 01-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #1
shane11
how long you nuke frozen mice?

??????????????

Old 01-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
Zombiegirl
Please tell me you're joking............................................ .....you absolutely do NOT want to nuke mice...you want to thaw them in hot tap water...if you are joking, kudos

Old 01-02-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
I microwave my mice in a mug of water. It depends on the size and quantity of the mice, but pinkies are usually good after about 30 to 45 seconds and larger mice usually take about a minute. The larger mice will still have to sit in the hot water to thaw a bit.

Definitely feel the mouse before you feed your snake to make sure it's not too hot or still frozen in the middle.

I also only use one specific mug for my mice and I keep it with my reptile supplies, so there's never any confusion!

Old 01-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
nancyg
OMG don't! they explode!! (don't ask how I know)
I do something similar to Hypnoctopus, I have a measuring cup that I microwave the water in and then drop pinkies in to heat them up..
For my adults, I heat up the water and pour it into a larger container (gladware) and then float the mice in a smaller container inside it to warm them up (no sopping wet mice)
I have found my adults will take a room temperature thawed mouse, but I think it's better to have it closer to a 'live' temperature, and that's how I did it from the beginning with my first two snakes

Old 01-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #5
cornsnakeforsale_com
Hot tap water works just fine. Pinkies are like a minute or two, the largest rats might be a couple of hours. Then dry them off a bit and they're good to go... delicious (I assume).

Old 01-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
LittleFrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnakeforsale_com View Post
Hot tap water works just fine. Pinkies are like a minute or two, the largest rats might be a couple of hours. Then dry them off a bit and they're good to go... delicious (I assume).
This, I've never needed to nuke water for thawing mice.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:01 PM   #7
Ravenessa
Many years ago I did nuke a mouse, he didn't explode per say but he did pop and the inside oozed out... I have to admit I just feed mine room temp... my guys don't care apparently...

Old 01-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
Rigby & Marcy
Hot tap water all the way.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:05 AM   #9
zazoo31
We always nuke water for a minute, put the mouse underwater in a sandwich baggie. I always take the mouse out (in the bag), dry the bag and feel the mouse between my fingers for a few to ensure it is warm and thawed.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:46 AM   #10
WingedSweetheart
It takes forever for the tap to get hot in my kitchen. So I just put cold water in a bowl and heat it in the microwave for a minute. I then put the mice in and let them sit. I've never timed it. I just check every few minutes to see if they feel warm. Sometimes with the bigger mice the water will get cold. I just drain the water and warm up some more.

If you don't want wet mice you can put them in a plastic baggie first.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google