CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Advice needed by experts :o)

Old 09-08-2002, 02:50 PM   #1
whiffin
Advice needed by experts :o)

I've just finished adding a LOT of content to my corn snake web site (URL below)

I believe everything I've written to be true.

If anyone gets 5 mins any chance they could have a quick look (especially the Help & advice page) to check my advice isn't really wrong and potentially dangerous.

Cheers people

(also if anyone wants a links just email me your URL)

Regards

Old 09-08-2002, 02:59 PM   #2
Neil
I didn't read it in great detail but it seemed to be correct. However, I think the temps may be a tiny bit off. I haven't got my manual to hand at the moment so I'll just give my opinion on the matter. Ideal temps , IMHO, are 75 degrees on the cool side and 85 degrees on the warm side with a couple of degrees each side still acceptable. Although I used to always work in Centigrade I've gotten more used to working with degrees F since I got into snakes so I may be a bit off.

Old 09-08-2002, 06:20 PM   #3
whiffin
Cheers bud,

21-27 deg C is 70-80 deg F
and 31-35 deg C is 88-95 deg F

so I think it's about there - if you say 75 and 85 my warm side is slightly too hot

Anyone?

Old 09-09-2002, 03:12 AM   #4
Neil
Just looked in the manual (which I trust beyond words) and it says that a gradient of 21-31 degrees C (70-88F) should exist across the cage. So, with that information in mind, I would say that the cool side should be something like 21-24C (70-75F) and the warm side should be about 29-31C (84-88F)).

Old 09-10-2002, 10:57 AM   #5
Rainey
The site looks great! You've got some talent there! I'm a pro web designer and I'm impressed. Nice and clean!

As for the content, I didn't read it but I did skim and it seemed correct. I'll be visiting when i get off work. I wanted to read it in more depth. I'll let you know!

Good job!

Rainey

Old 09-10-2002, 10:59 AM   #6
Rainey
I have tonnes of respect for Kathy and her book, but the way people talk about her book, she could have called it the Corn Bible!

It's a great book!

Rainey!

Old 09-10-2002, 12:15 PM   #7
Darin Chappell
Whiffin,

I do have a couple of questions for you:

1. Do you think having the snake in your logo showing rather large fangs is somewhat misleading about corns? After all, one of the problems so many people have with snakes of any kind is their fear of being bitten. I know it's a caroon, but it may not be wise to have a figure like that on a page designed to introduce people to corns. Just my opinion.

2. Not all of the pictures you have on your site are corns. I know that the two pictures of the snakes exposing their ventral scales are both of Great Plains Rat snakes. I saw the pictures in a book, showing the difference between the normal GPR and the small population found in TX, which has a patternless belly. Now, this is not a huge problem for me, because I personally believe the GPR to be just a locale specific cornsnake, but others will be upset by having pictures of E.g. emoryi represented as E.g.guttata.

Also, the animal next to the section entitled "Health," is that a corn or a corn hybrid? It appears to be an albino cross between a corn and some sort of milksnake. If it is a corn, I'd sure like to know who owns it! I've never seen one like that before!

3. Finally, because I know I've seen those GPR pictures in a book, I was wondering if you got permission from the owners of those pictures to use them in your site. I just never saw any credit being given to the photographers/owners anywhere on the site. This is a big "no-no" in the industry if you are using those pictures without expressed written permission.

As to the style and basic content of the site, I liked it very much. There are some things you've written therein which definitely fall into the realm of opinion, but you stated that these were your opinion from the very first. I appreciate all your hard work on it!

Old 09-10-2002, 01:18 PM   #8
Neil
Yeah, if you haven't already got permission for those pics, take them off the site and then ask. I had a horrible experience regarding copyrights. Thankfully it didn't turn into anything but was truly scary. I sure learnt my lesson!!

Old 09-11-2002, 05:45 AM   #9
whiffin
Thumbs up

Many thanks for all your help it's appreciated.

Neil I've changed the temperatures

Rainey Thanks for the compliment. I'm a pro web designer too (hence the banner add).

Darin Cheers for your advice, I understand what you're saying about the logo fangs but, at this stage I'll leave it. Perhaps on the next site overhaul. I'm not so sure it's that much of a problem as it is a cartoon and people can see from the other pics that corns don't have 'em.

Darin & Neil OKay, I get your point on copyright, all images removed and only ones that I've taken are there. Darin, this also removes the problems with the GPR pics

Darin Out of interest which statements are definately opinion and not fact ? The bit at the top claiming that it's all opinion is just a disclaimer - I'd rather get it all accurate as it'll be better for people looking in the future.

Many thanks for all your work and comments, it's very much appreciated

If anyone has any corn pics I can use (I'll give you credit) please email me ... thanks

Cheers again

A

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google