CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Very Sick Snake???

Old 01-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
AnnieChris
Very Sick Snake???

We have a corn snake who is approximately 1 1/2 years old. Her name is CeCe. I think she is sick, and I have an appointment at the vet in two days, but I'm hoping someone can give me some insight. I like this vet, but I have found they take advantage of ignorance!!

Ce Ce has always been very irratic in her feeding. Sometimes two weeks in a row, sometimes going for a month or longer without eating. She is very calm, and unlike my friends' snakes, she doesn't curl around our hands or arms when we take her out of the cage. Just moves along exploring. She always looks very healthy, but has always been a hider - we rarely see her. And she seems to prefer the "cold" side of her cage, and rarely stays on the warm side (that I've seen, anyway). Until recently...

A couple of months ago I thought I noticed that there was a bulge in her mid-section. I wasn't sure, and thought it might be from a recent meal. But after a while, it became clear that it was getting bigger. She was still eating, and seemed to be drinking normally, and pooping. But now this bulge is quite noticeable (twice her girth at least) even though she has not eaten in at least 6 weeks. It is near the middle of her body.

Like I said, for the past year she was rarely in view. But the past four days she has been constantly in view, either partially or fully. Usually on the warm side, laying on the log or rock, or under the log shelter if the warmer light isn't on .

She is pooping, or passing some kind of brownish mucus-y stuff at an alarming pace. There are four spots from the past day or so. In the past, she maybe pooped a big one once a week or so.

She is still so pretty and bright, and looks healthy. But all of this is alarming. Can anyone offer any insight?

Thank you for your help!!

Christine

Old 01-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
dionythicus
Take in a fresh fecal smple so they can check for cryptosporidium. You should do a search online or on this fourm about it. I do recall the midbody swelling as a symptom, though it could be many things. I wish you the best.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
AnnieChris
Thank you...I did some research on cryptosporidium and it sounds very scary. I think CeCe is even more swollen today. The swelling had been difficult to see, and very slow growing until recently...I think it is growing very quickly now. I'm glad we're taking her to the doctor tomorrow.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Christine

Old 01-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
CornCrazy
There are some other parasites and intestinal bacteria that can cause the same thing. A word of warning...A fecal may not always be positive even if there are parasites/bacteria present. If the first one is negative, I would suggest repeating it. Sometimes a gastric lavage is needed, too.

Please keep us posted!

Old 01-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
AnnieChris
Gastric Lavage?!?!? Poor liitle thing. I am going to hate this vet visit. I really don't have much hope that it is nothing...it is looking really frightening.

Thank you for your help and good wishes.

Christine

Old 01-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
CornCrazy
Yep...a gastric lavage is sometimes very helpful and finding out what is causing the swelling. Hopefully the fecal will give you the info needed.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
AnnieChris
CeCe Died

CeCe's appointment at the vet to was for 4:30pm today. I had been checking on her all day and she seemed the same, moving around alot, still with the swelling. I last checked on her at 3pm, and she seemed fine. But when I went to get her at 4:15 for her appontment, she was dead. I was so shocked! My 8 year old son is so upset, and I am sad and feel guilty. I hope she wasn't in pain...I feel so bad. I should've done more. I just didn't realize, before the last couple of days, that it was serious...and even then, I think I was in denial.

I'm just so mad and sad...I wish I knew what was wrong with her, too. I expect we will get another snake, and I don't want to make the same mistake(s). She was such a sweet little thing.

Christine

Old 01-25-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
Bobo's Mama
If you have the money, you could still get her tested to see what killed her. That way at least you would know for sure what it was.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #9
AnnieChris
I was wondering about that. I called my vet to tell them we weren't coming, but she didn't say anything. I don't know why I didn't ask...I was just feeling bad, I guess. Do you know approx what it costs, and would we be able to get CeCe back? It may sound strange, but my son needs to bury her.

Christine

Old 01-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
Bobo's Mama
I don't think it would cost anymore than the tests you were already going to get. And if you ask them, they should give her body back to you. I would put her in the fridge in the meantime. That should perserve her enough to take her to the vet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google