CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My 15 year supposedly male snake just laid an egg. Now what?

Old 06-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
Cursed_Witch
My 15 year supposedly male snake just laid an egg. Now what?

Hi all,
Stewie turns 15 next month and all these years I thought he was a .. Well He, the vets even said so (not 100% though without probing and did not want him to go through that)
Anyway, the past month or two (not sure) I have felt this lump near his stomach and I thought it was just poop but everytime he defecated it was still there, then I got worried that maybe it was a growth and that he was sick. Until this morning, I woke up and found an egg (couls be more in there but didn't want to disturb him/her)
I am shocked... So he is a she!!! And how did that happen? And what do I do with it? Is it a slug or dead egg since it's a single and a clutch(?) Or should I be doing something to see if it's actually a live egg.
I appreciate any advice. (Attached a pic)
Thank you.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
Unless she's been with other snakes, it's extremely likely it's infertile. She may have more eggs inside her, so it would be beneficial to provide her with a lay box. You can fill a box or hide with some damp sphagnum moss. It's up to you whether you want to try incubating any eggs or you can just get rid of them.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
Cursed_Witch
Hi!
Thank you for your reply.
No she is the only snake I have. ( I can't believe I have to refer to her as a she from now on ��)
I did find another squished egg. So I think they are both infertile.
What do I do? Toss them and clean out everything? Do I wash her because I read they still smell the scent of eggs on themselves?
How is it possible for her to lay eggs? And at 15 years old? And for the first time?
Sorry for these questions.. I'm kind of shocked.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
I wouldn't worry about washing her. I would just give her a lay box and leave her alone for a few days. Yes you can just toss them, although some people recommend freezing them first on the off chance that they might be viable.

Some females produce slugs regularly, some never do, and I guess some wait 15 years!

Old 06-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
Cursed_Witch
Can you elaborate on that please? Freezing them? How would they survive?
I will have to make do a lay box. Maybe paper towels or something. I am currently home recovering from a hip surgery and on crutches.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #6
hypnoctopus
Freezing them is to kill any potential embryo in the very unlikely event that they're fertile, so that if you throw them in the trash, you won't be introducing a non native species into your environment. Sorry, I could have worded that better! If you want to try incubating them, you definitely would not freeze them first!

Old 06-15-2020, 10:43 PM   #7
SnakeCreations
I swear, nothing surprises me anymore. But 15 years and then producing eggs is a first!
The photo looks like a slug to me. And, congrats - it's a girl

-Tonya

Old 06-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #8
Cursed_Witch
Thank you Tonya! I guess you can say she's a mature female now ��
She hasn't touched the lay box I made her, instead she borrowed herseld deep with her head only sticking out for the past two days after she was in out of her water bowl. Not sure what that means. I haven't touched her since she laid the eggs.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #9
Cursed_Witch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Freezing them is to kill any potential embryo in the very unlikely event that they're fertile, so that if you throw them in the trash, you won't be introducing a non native species into your environment. Sorry, I could have worded that better! If you want to try incubating them, you definitely would not freeze them first!
Sorry to bother you again.
But as my last reply says. She didn't move since that monday until today she came out abd her body is is out of wack and she is doing these weird movements like she is trying to move more eggs out. I made a video and took more pics. Is there a way I can show you? I'm gettinf worried now. I thought she was going to shed again.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #10
hypnoctopus
You can upload a video to YouTube and link it here. And you can attach pictures or upload them to imgur for us to see.

I'm definitely not an expert on this because I've only hatched two clutches, which didn't have any problems. As far as I'm aware, getting egg bound from infertile eggs isn't very common, but could be a possibility.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google