• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sad Accident. Advice?

Roy Munson said:
:roflmao:

Sorry about that. "Thanks people" sounds kinda stiff; "Thanks guys and gals" is offensive to some; and "Thanks guys and womyn" is so cumbersome. :grin01:

Actually, the term "guys" doesn't bother me. We use it all the time here with it meaning "everyone" when we say it. We just don't think if it in a male sense anymore. lol.

But, Dean, maybe using the all or everyone would help you out. :) AND...Ummm....womYn????? :eek1:

gardenmum said:
But, Dean, maybe using the all or everyone would help you out. :) AND...Ummm....womYn????? :eek1:

:grin01: I've never seen it written like that. In a way, it's kind of cool, if unsubtle. ;)

Bill Update: Checked him out a few minutes ago. He has pooped, and it appears normal. I took some pics of him, and the flash got him moving around, and tongue-flicking as usual. The shot where his head is completely sideways, against his body, is how I found him resting. I tried to be objective in evaluating his movement, but I'm pretty sure that I saw maybe a 20-25% increase in range of motion. In a few of the shots you can see that his head is almost level. His neck/head movements are still jerky, as if he's straining against something. I was also worried about his water-bowl access, so I poured a tiny bit of water into a Pringle's lid, and left it for him. When I looked a few minutes later, he was drinking it.

So I don't know where he'll end up, but he seemed genuinely to have been a little better today. Sometimes things are more apparent in photos than they are to the naked eye. With this in mind, I had some anxiety looking at the photos. Except for the head tilt, I'm not seeing anything else unusual in the pics. Hopefully some of the vets, vet techs, and other qualified people around here can tell me if there is something I'm missing. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• 011206 bill injured (1).JPG
    011206 bill injured (1).JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 011206 bill injured (5).JPG
    011206 bill injured (5).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 011206 bill injured (6).JPG
    011206 bill injured (6).JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 011206 bill injured (9).JPG
    011206 bill injured (9).JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 144
Looks like he has handled his awful ordeal pretty well. He may have a 'bit of a tilt' all his life, but won't affect his marriage activities I'm sure. Hopefully he'll stay in good health now.

Thanks for the update and the pictures. I am sure you were relieved to see he seemed better. :)

The first picture looks alarming, but the other two look pretty good. You do see a tilt but it's not at a right angle or anything.

He's proving to you how tough he can be (even though he's not one of your 05 jumbos :D)

Best of luck!!!

gardenmum said:
Looks like he has handled his awful ordeal pretty well. He may have a 'bit of a tilt' all his life, but won't affect his marriage activities I'm sure. Hopefully he'll stay in good health now.

Thanks for the update and the pictures. I am sure you were relieved to see he seemed better. :)

Yeah, I'm somewhat relieved. I think he's going to live, but I guess that really depends on whether he can resume feeding. I won't be making the attempt until the middle of next week at the earliest, so we'll see how that goes. If when all is said and done, a head tilt and "performance issues" are the only residual problems, I'll be happy with that. I think my female blizzard will be busy with various blood-combo males for a couple of years anyway, so he can be babied through as long a convalescence as he needs. ;)

Prieta said:
The first picture looks alarming, but the other two look pretty good. You do see a tilt but it's not at a right angle or anything.

He's proving to you how tough he can be (even though he's not one of your 05 jumbos )

Best of luck!!!

Thanks. I agree about the first pic. When I opened the tub, he was like that. I suppose that he probably adopted a position that put the least strain on his injury, but it was alarming to me too until he started moving.

And yeah, he seems pretty tough. He is a very slow grower. I can't imagine that his revised diet of infrequently offered, single, small pinks is going to help in that area.

I am so glad to see he is doing better! I can imagine how relieved you are. We'll all be hoping his feeding goes well next week and looking for more updates :).

I'll add my own little stupid oversight story. One year in a pet store, I found these little rodent waterdishes with the cutouts on the side... This made them an ideal waterdish for baby cornsnakes, since they could hide underneath. I bought a whole mess of them, rinsed them off, and used them for my hatchlings that year.

The next year, I went to re-use them. Being in a hurry, I ran them through the dishwasher instead of spraying and wiping them down. Unfortunately, the UPC sticker was on the bottom of the waterdish, and while the paper part of the sticker dissolved completely, the glue remained. I put the dishes in the hatchling containers when I set them up, and went about my normal snakekeeping. A couple days later, I was surprised to find out that none of the hatchlings had touched the mice I'd given them the night before. I disposed of the pinks and went to change the water... only to find hatchlings stuck to the bottoms of most of the water dishes. It took lots of careful work to free them, and I think some of them were too traumatized to start feeding and starved to death.

Needless to say, I don't use waterdish-hides with any sort of sticker on the underside anymore. (Most of my hatchlings drink out of little glass condiment dishes now...)

-Kat

I somehow missed this thread untill just now. I sure do hope Bill recovers for you Dean. And like everyone said, don't beat yourself up about this. We all make mistakes. Even people as perfect as me. :grin01:

hana

Kat said:
I'll add my own little stupid oversight story...

Yet another very instructive story. I was thinking that it would be helpful to compile all of these stories into a sticky thread sometime. Maybe it would keep people from making the mistakes we've made. Of course, I'd read of a case similar to my own only weeks before Bill's incident... and it happened anyway. :rolleyes:

hana said:
We all make mistakes. Even people as perfect as me. :grin01:

I refuse to believe that you've ever made a mistake. Buying a monkey would be a mistake for me, but you make it work! :grin01:

Roy Munson said:
Yet another very instructive story. I was thinking that it would be helpful to compile all of these stories into a sticky thread sometime. Maybe it would keep people from making the mistakes we've made. Of course, I'd read of a case similar to my own only weeks before Bill's incident... and it happened anyway. :rolleyes:
I think that would be a good idea. Even though accidents will always happen, it might help to have a better idea just what kinds of things to be careful of. Sometimes it is something we would never consider a potential problem (like UPC sticker glue).

I think he looks pretty darn good Dean. That first pic may seem alarming, but considering what happened, looks like he's just got a "headache". My money's on Bill.....Go Bill!!!!! :cheers:

Roy Munson said:
IBuying a monkey would be a mistake for me, but you make it work! :grin01:

lol seriously you made me do the laugh/snort! My husband likes to tease me about getting a monkey because I'm seriously afraid of them. I tell him if I wanted something in diapers & flinging poo (not all are like that I understand) I would have a 2 year old :D

It's too bad you can't use a chiropractor for him. Little neck adjustment! I would want an x-ray first though. As far as tape or anything sticky, I can testify that vegetable oil or olive oil will do the trick everytime! A simple soaking or use a q-tip to drip the oil on will dissolve most tape and sticky glue residue in no time. Troy, who I got my Green tree python from has had the cornsnake hatchlings get out and get stuck to the glue traps he puts out to catch errant crickets. A shallow bath of vegetable oil and they are off the glue in a few minutes.

mbdorfer said:
I think he looks pretty darn good Dean. That first pic may seem alarming, but considering what happened, looks like he's just got a "headache". My money's on Bill.....Go Bill!!!!! :cheers:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's going to make it. I can't be unrealistic in my expectations for his speedy rehabilitation. If my neck was caught in the front door, and then someone applied a vice to the whole thing, I'd probably look pretty bad a mere five days later. My money's on Bill too. :)

Prieta said:
lol seriously you made me do the laugh/snort! My husband likes to tease me about getting a monkey because I'm seriously afraid of them. I tell him if I wanted something in diapers & flinging poo (not all are like that I understand) I would have a 2 year old

I'm scared of them too. I think I watched the movie "Monkeyshines" a few too many times in the late eighties. It combined two of my most intense phobias: confinement/immobility and... monkeys. :shrugs:

ultimuttone said:
I think that would be a good idea. Even though accidents will always happen, it might help to have a better idea just what kinds of things to be careful of. Sometimes it is something we would never consider a potential problem (like UPC sticker glue).

Yeah, I still think it's a good idea. And that UPC glue thing... you know I'm paranoid, but even that one never occurred to me. (And I had a "tape incident" in the early '90s). What else haven't I imagined... :eek1:

I'm glad to see how well Bill is doing. I bet that's a relief. We'll be looking forward to an update on his feeding next week. I hope all goes well.

Back