CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Ruth the Beardie

Old 07-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #31
Nanci
Silkworms are the best!!

Back when I _did_ feed crickets, I'd give them all the leftover greens that Isabel never ate. They ate the greens, she ate them.

And the super-easy non smelly way to keep crickets is in a 66 quart sterilite, with no lid (they can't climb plastic) and give them a cardboard egg carton to climb on, and greens and gut load and gel water cubes.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #32
Eavlynn
I've got large crickets in a large critter keeper woth a paper towel roll to hide in, and small plastic lids woth food and gel water. Small crickets are kept in a smaller keeper with the same food and water set up.

I hear some people get away from crickets all together by using other insects. It's hard for me to get my hands on roaches unless I make it to a reptile expo/show, should I be offering a wider variety?

Old 07-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #33
Eavlynn
Today was a huge victory! Ruth ate her first salad! I've noticed that she goes for anything white or yellow, so I cooked up some yellow squash (I read squash should be cooked, though a reason wasn't provided. I'm cooking it until I can prove one way or another what's safe) and sprinkled it over the greens. Cooking them made them slippery, so when she went to eat it, she got a mouthful of greens . Afterwards, she looked at me as though I committed a huge act of betrayal, but with no crickets in sight, she begrudgingly continued eating. When I came back later her salad was gone!

This is Ruthie with her evening salad. She doesn't seem as fond of carrots as she is squash, but she nibbled it a bit. She's getting more strength in her front legs and is even holding herself up! I'm so proud of her that I could burst!

Old 07-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #34
DollysMom
I'm so proud of you for getting her to eat her veggies. WTG, mama!

Old 07-21-2016, 12:39 AM   #35
DLena
You are a wonderful Beardie-Momma. I don't know anything about them, but Ruthie looks stronger and more alert as your posts progress. You're making a miracle for her. Way to go!

Old 07-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #36
Eavlynn
Thanks DollysMom and DLena Ruth is making leaps and bounds in such a short time. I'm excited to find new foods and insects that she likes, so that I can add some variety to her diet and make it more well rounded. She's such a phenomenal little dragon! I have no idea why the previous owner that "rescued" her was willing to give her up, but I'm glad that she found her way into my life.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:02 AM   #37
Joba
Great job! I'm very happy for her.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #38
JennyJ
I love reading about such a successful rescue, when an animal finds the right caregiver. She's a cute little girl. You're doing a great job.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Old 07-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #39
Eavlynn
Thanks everyone. Another Ruthie update: she ate 2 salads today and took her first real steps! She chased a cricket across her 10 gallon feeding enclosure, and lifted herself completely up off the ground! Her recovery is miraculous!

Monday, I'll be calling around to local vets that are willing to see reptiles. I'd like to get an xray taken to see her bone density, look for deformities that aren't apparent, and check for previous or current fractures. I also want a fecal, and dermal scraping. She has a discolored spot on her leg and I want to be 100% sure that nothing else is going on. If they can run a blood test to check for vitamin and mineral deficiencies that would be great. I want to know absolutely everything so that I can modify her diet and routine accordingly, and treat any issues that I may not be presently aware of. Fingers crossed for a clean bill of health and more future progress!

Old 07-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #40
Eavlynn
And some photos from today, because no update is complete without photos

Finishing up salad number 2!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google