CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Sani-Chips Question

Old 07-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
AliCat37
Sani-Chips Question

Hello everyone

A few months ago I bought Sani-Chips at the local reptile expo and LOVED it!! Well, I ran out, and I decided to buy some myself.
I found a website that sold the 2.2 cubic foot bags of Aspen Sani Chips for a very reasonable price, so I bought 3 bags.

Well, they arrived today, and I was thrilled to get to cleaning and switching out the old shavings..

Problem is,
I opened the bag and was overwhelmed by the smell of PINE. Not aspen!! Is this how a new bag smells? I really don't want to waste the stuff, I spent $60 on it.

I went back and double checked my order and I definitely bought ASPEN sani-chips. The bag is from Harlan-Tekland, which is usually where I get my shredded aspen from, but I didn't buy this from Harlan directly because it seemed like you needed to buy by the pallet from them. The bag unfortunately is not labeled, so I really don't know if it is aspen or not.
I don't even know who I would complain to, or how, since I didn't buy it from Harlan directly.

Does anyone else use this brand? Does it smell like pine?

Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Joba
Sorry I can't help. I guess I'd just call Harlan and/or the website you purchased it from and hopefully get a knowledgeable person.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
IowaPrairieWoman
The nose, knows, they are selling majorly large bags of chips ... a mistake could happen. Contact the company, I think, maybe ?

Old 07-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
AliCat37
I set an email to the website I made the purchase from, hope to get some answers :/

Old 07-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
smigon
Good luck with everything, hope they get it cleared up and send you the correct purchase!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
AliCat37
They are sending me a replacement. They said I could either keep the shavings they sent me, but prefer that if I cannot use them that I donate them to a local animal shelter. Good deal there! Let's hope the next ones they send are actually aspen

So far I am impressed with the customer service. I didn't even ask for a replacement!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #7
hypnoctopus
Good to hear! Hopefully the replacement will actually be aspen.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliCat37 View Post
They are sending me a replacement. They said I could either keep the shavings they sent me, but prefer that if I cannot use them that I donate them to a local animal shelter. Good deal there! Let's hope the next ones they send are actually aspen

So far I am impressed with the customer service. I didn't even ask for a replacement!
I hope it's aspen too this time! And even BETTER is that you are donating what you can't use! Good Karma, and what goes around...

Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
AliCat37
Well the replacement order arrived.. And it was also pine again.
They are sending out a third shipment, and they placed a "quality control" on it to make sure it is aspen before sending it. I think, unfortunately, it will be pine again.

I can't quite decide if I like their customer service or not. In one way, I like that they are trying, but obviously not enough.
Worse yet, the animal shelter I wanted to donate the shavings to cant use them because pine is toxic to their small animals too. Why do they make bedding out of things that are toxic? :/

Old 08-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
crackerhead
Can you show us a picture of the product and packaging?

Terri

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google