CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Containers to use for housing snakes

Old 10-07-2002, 01:41 PM   #1
Chris Blore
Containers to use for housing snakes

I am soon going to set up a small breeding operation in the Uk (not to make any profit, but just because of my love for these marvelous animals) and am wondering what containers to use for housing my snakes. I notice many of you in the US use rubbermaid containers but these are not readily available in the UK. Is there an equivalent that you could recommend for use in the UK and where could I obtain it?
Thanks
Chris Blore

Old 10-07-2002, 02:16 PM   #2
Axe
Just go down to u'r local "anything for a quid" store and pick some tubs up, or head down to the supermarkets.

Rubbermaid stuff is available in the UK, but you're right, it ain't as common.

Any tub with a nicely tight fitting lid (or lidless if you build up a rack that leaves VERY little overhead (like 1/8" - 2mm) above the top of the tubs.

Old 10-07-2002, 03:47 PM   #3
reaper
hi i use lunch boxes to house my hatchlings got from supermarket at 99p each. for larger tubs you can get all sorts of sizes suitable for keeping corns in i no there is a place in southhampton that make conti boxes which i good but lost the details so when i find them i let you no. heres a pic of my hatchling rack to show you the lunch boxes

Old 10-07-2002, 04:44 PM   #4
pipatic
nice rack reaper,i see u even got there names under the boxes'too lol

Chris BLore this is the contat details for the boxes mate
www.solentplastics.co.uk

hey axe
rubermaid in uk over here its hard to get the boxes of the right size (adults) and enough of them when u do come across them

or heat tape ?but we do get the heatmat all in with plug lol,

i ed prefer the tape as what you guy's get so it can be cut to size

Old 10-08-2002, 03:25 AM   #5
lisa.trunfio
Stupid qestion

I know it sounds stupid...but how do you punch the holes in those boxes?
I love that rack and am thinking of coping it ^_^

Lisa

Old 10-08-2002, 03:33 AM   #6
reaper
hi all

i used a soldering iron to make the holes in the tubs. i found this to be about the easyest way.

Old 10-08-2002, 04:13 AM   #7
pipatic
or for hatchlings you could try heating a small screw or nail,
reaper send royalties tom via mail lol lol

Old 10-08-2002, 01:26 PM   #8
Axe
I've got a drill press, so I just stuck in a 3/32" bit in and away we go. You could do it with a hand-drill too.

I just had a piece of masking tape, marked out on it where I wanted the holes to go, then after I'd drilled 'em all, I took off the tape and stuck it to the next tub, that way they were all in the same place on each tub.

Old 10-09-2002, 09:19 AM   #9
lisa.trunfio
Wink

Great Idea the tape!
Thanks for all the tips!!!
Lisa

Old 10-10-2002, 03:24 AM   #10
Rachel
You can use the plastic containers you get from take aways. I'm not sure if you get these, but our local chinese (mmmmm chinese) serves all its take away in these clear containers. I've been saving them for a while now. Maybe I can start a UK franchise.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google