CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Do (and why do) snakes go into shed at laying?

Old 07-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
LadyJemima
Do (and why do) snakes go into shed at laying?

I was told that females go into shed when laying. This seems counter-evolutionary to me. I would assume they would be more vulnerable at this time and would want to be in non-shed. Is this true, and does anyone know the biological reason for it? I find it quite fascinating.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
they swell up, stretch their skin, and are in need of new skin.

Snakes shed for a variety of reasons, to grow, to replace damaged skin, to shed parasites

Old 07-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
LadyJemima
If they swell, that makes sense. I don't know much about the laying process. Very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #4
Tavia
They also shed around hormonal changes, sheds often mark the beginning of receptiveness to mating in both males and females, females shed (usually) a bit before laying and then again immediately after laying, which is probably half hormonal and half the stretching involved with laying.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google