• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Xmas corns, take two

dionythicus

Kiss My Hearse
OK, I posted under misc. first before I thought to post a genetics question under Cultivars. :bang: I'll probably get more hits here.

Its about the hypo Christmas corns. What does every(any)one know about this trait? I saw some at the Hillsboro show last w/e and am now thinking I should have picked one up. What breeding trials have been done with this morph already? Has it been proven to be a new hypo trait, incompatible with the known hypo A, sunkissed hypo B and Lava hypo C?

Well I have some CHRISTMAS hypos and I test them in the last two years, they are a different hypo, not compatible with ULTRA, LAVA, SUNKISSE or HYPO A.

My knowledge of them begins and ends with: They're corns with greenish saddle borders.

Then again, I wasn't aware they were a type of hypo. I've never seen them anywhere, and there's not much info on them.

-Kat

Carlos said:
Well I have some CHRISTMAS hypos and I test them in the last two years, they are a different hypo, not compatible with ULTRA, LAVA, SUNKISSE or HYPO A.

Carlos,

Any chance you could post some photos.

Thanks,
~Jeff C.

I've been wanting to work with some christmas hypos for a while now, They are really nice looking animals in my opinion.

Carlos said:
You've tested Xmas against all 4 already? That's awesome, and now we have Hypo-like genetic trait #5. :D LOL

Any thoughts on what to use for a gene symbol? We already have Ch<sup>c</sup> for Charcoal, Ca<sup>c</sup> for Caramel. We could go with three letters Chr<sup>c</sup> or anything else anyone can think up...

Yes I do, Serp. And now I have a bunch of double hets all over my place. I'm planning to breed all the hypos together and see what show up, that is a 4 years project at least, maybe a Super Hypo can be created.LOL

Any thoughts on what to use for a gene symbol?

Why not just 'X'?

I'm a bit surprised that a morph known as a Christmas corn that's been around so long (I've heard OF it for quite a while, but never really seen much selling or buying of it) would have had so little attention in the timespan... I guess it's something to do with it being 'just another hypo'?

-Kat

Are these the same as the Christmas Island Corns that Bill & Marcia Brant were working with establishing a few years ago? If they are then I, like Kat, am also amazed that they have not been worked with more. But then again maybe it is because Bill isn't concerned with selling his offspring to breeders and is pretty much strictly wholesale to the big chains. Makes me wonder how many "pet shop" Hypos are something other then Hypo A.

~Jeff C.

So now I'm even more interested in picking up a pair of these! If I'd known, I would have gotten them at the show and saved shipping!

Good work Carlos!
Just to recap, last year you bred the Christmas to Lavas and Hypos, and Bill Brant supposedly bred them to Ghost and produced Normals. So this year, you must have bred the Christmas to Sunkissed and Ultras or Amels and proved them out, Correct?

I have 2.1 Normals het for Chrismas/Anery and poss het Lava, and I have to say they sure have a different look to them. The local they came from has a look of its own. Even the Normal phase has a greenish cast to the normally black areas and they have a nice reddish cast to them as well. It is not like the dark brick reds of the Lava Line, it is more of a Cherry red color.

I am not sure about symbols but XM sounds good to me. I believe the reason the Christmas Hypos have not been worked with much is due to the originators lack of interest in trying to create new double homo morphs with them, much like Kathy left the Sunkissed combos to others. I definitely see some very exciting potential ahead for the Christmas Hypo combinations.

For those who may not know, the Christmas Hypos came from some wild caught Corns from Daufuskie Island, South Carolina. As stories go, this one has been pointing towards a new hypo gene for quite sometime.

magick-bears said:
Now if I could only find some of these, or even hets, for sale :shrugs:

~Jeff C.

At the risk of losing out on them myself, I know that LLL Reptile has them right now for $49.99. They definitely looked more cherry red, like Joe said, than other hypos I've seen. I want to get some, maybe in a few years. Maybe I can get my honey to get me a pair for my birthday?

So they are the one's Bill Brant has..?? I think I could maybe get my hands on some through him easier than through LLL... o_O Good times.. just what we need, another hypo gene.. :eek1:

Laine

OK, ok, ok, ok. I had to do it. I called LLL and bought the male they had at the store. Whew. They're also at a show this w/e and didn't know if there was a female on the table. They'll call me and let me know.

So much the tattoo I was going to get this month. But hey, making new snakes will pay for alot more tats down the road, right?

Back