CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Guess the sex!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
Kylesixtytwo
Guess the sex!

Hey I'm contemplating going to the vet to sex my corns. But before I do I was hoping someone could give me a confirmation that I have a male and female. First one is advertised male second is long time thought female. Hope you can tell! Thanks ahead!

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Old 10-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #2
Kylesixtytwo
Images actually got reversed! The top three pictures are of what should be the female

Old 10-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
Shiari
I was about to say "That male certainly has a feminine tail there..."

Old 10-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #4
Kylesixtytwo
Owwesome! That's what I thought just wanted to make sure. Really appreciate it, can't wait to breed these guys!!

Old 10-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
Rigby & Marcy
I would agree, the top looks female and the bottom male.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Kylesixtytwo
Thanks for the fast replies guys, I'll be back on I'm a couple months to talk about breeding. I live in Clemson, sc. I was told I could just put these guys in my garage for a couple of months with just water? After that just bring them back in? Do they need to be separated during this period?

Old 10-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Nanci
You don't need to brumate them. If you do, they need to not get too cold. And you need to keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't spilling their water. Which they do.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
Kylesixtytwo
So I currently have them together in a 40 gal tank, should they breed on their own or should I induce it somehow at some point?

Old 10-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #9
Rigby & Marcy
Most people don't recommend keeping corns in the same tank. Even if they seem okay they often have subtle symptoms of stress that you might not notice. Getting a second tank for one would be the safest if it's possible. In the spring you will likely notice the male becoming very active, assuming one is a male. Then you know that breeding season is coming and the female will need some extra food to get ready.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #10
Jessicat
I agree with the former poster.. separate them. Put them together at select times to breed, but it's best if they live separately. The male will constantly harass the female and they will both get stressed out.

How long have they been co habbed? I agree that the tails look female (top) and male (bottom), but if they've lived together for years and you've never seen eggs you may have two males. Verifying gender via sight is nowhere near as reliable as trial breedings.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google