• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Maybe overdid it...

Oh come on now... it glows in the dark too!? :bowdown: Somehow I missed that detail, that's insane! What did you use to make it glow?

Very pretty snake. I'll need to look those up. :)

Wow your a great inspiration to me and what I could potentially do with my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOVE them! I'll admit I got all inspired by looking at the enclosures that people make for their dart frogs. I was deturmind to do something like this!!

Lemme just say that it's A LOT harder (and more expensive) then it looks!

Thanks again! I almost got into dart frogs, just so i could create live habitats like that. Then I found out how often those little guys needed to be fed and I backed out before I got started. The cages I built probably cost as much as some of the nicer ones I could have purchased. Then again, the purchased cages were empty boxes, maybe with a shelf. I figured I could save tons by creating everything home-made, but I was surprised at how it still added up. I intentionally did not keep track. I don't want to know what they cost. My primary goal was to create something I couldn't buy and would be proud of, not to save money. As far as effort goes, it wasn't that hard, but it sure did take a lot of time.

dang... That is amazing.. I need more time in my life for projects like this <3 and i know you said it took you 1 year to make 2.. you also didn't have ton of time over if you are like all other adults.. and you were figuring things out.. once you get it down I am sure you could at least make part time business by carving rocks alone or make the wines to peoples specifics.. <3

Thank you! Building cages for other people seems like quite a task. Maybe when (if) I retire, I could take inside dimensions of other people's enclosures and create scenery to fit for them? It's an idea. Maybe sell at local shows? It'd be easier to teach others how to make their own. Maybe I'll make a website some day, but the info is already out there. That's how I learned. I already have several design changes for my next cages.

More pics and an update. I finally caught my blue guy out exploring. They actually seem to enjoy their new enclosures. Much more interesting than their former tubs, but then you have to consider their species. (I have some other snakes that would be terrified and never be seen at all in these.) I tried to create the Avatar themed one with blue/purple plants with an aquatic feel to them, like in the movie, so aquarium plants seemed ideal, but they are intended to be supported by the water, and my blue Baron's, small as he is, can smash them a bit. He is perfect in there now, but when he grows, he'll demolish the scenery. Anyone know of a small, arboreal blue snake that doesn't hide all the time? Also, the cypress mulch is easy to clean up messes in, but I "overdid it" to the point that just finding what they leave behind is like a "where's Waldo" scene.

Attachments

• 102_9726edit.jpg
    102_9726edit.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 102_9737edit.jpg
    102_9737edit.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 102_9743edit.jpg
    102_9743edit.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 102_9752edit.jpg
    102_9752edit.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 102_9760edit.jpg
    102_9760edit.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 125
Thanks, Lars. I wouldn't say I was an expert at anything. Maybe just imaginative? I get an image in mind and try to figure out how to create it. My next two enclosures will be a desert theme and a cave with quartz crystals hanging from the ceiling which will light up. Already got them figured out.

I do hope to be at the upcoming show. (as a customer) I missed the one in June because I didn't even know about it.

They both look amazing, though I'm biased towards the Avatar themed one (loved that movie). The glow in the dark plants are a great touch.

Hey, I was right about a few things. One, these cages are difficult to keep clean, but that is partly because of the species I've put in them. Baron's Racers are just so active that I can hardly open the door without them flying out over my shoulder. Then I spend 20 minutes chasing them around the room. Sometimes I just keep an eye on them while I clean and change water bowls, then catch them when I'm done. The Baron's are really growing like weeds and need enclosures that give them room and take into account their spastic nature. Maybe small access hatches near the water bowls? They're just so curious and not afraid of anything at all, they won't hide while I work.

So, anyone got any ideas for a blue arboreal snake that won't get too big and smash my aquarium plants, and won't hide all the time? Maybe blue lizards?

So, anyone got any ideas for a blue arboreal snake that won't get too big and smash my aquarium plants, and won't hide all the time? Maybe blue lizards?

I wish I could confirm if axanthic green tree snakes actually exist, either rough or smooth. I'd pick one up in a heartbeat. Maybe if bright green would suffice, you might look into that? They are pretty small and arboreal, usually eat crickets and such. They don't really like a lot of handling usually and are prone to musking, so they're great display animals.

Yes, I'd thought of those. I've got a few want-ads out asking for them. I've read that there used to be a breeder of them that sold at some local shows (in Georgia, I think), but didn't advertise online. I've even heard of albinos, but haven't seen pics. Can you imagine a lutino (all lemon yellow)? Green snakes also have the odd habit of turning blue when they die, so people find them on the road and think they're genetically blue. Not the case. I'd like to breed some blue ones, though. I think there'd be a market for an inexpensive blue snake. Not sure why the green ones aren't more popular, except for the lack of cuddlyness that you mentioned. Thanks!

I saw a photo once of a living blue rough green snake (never confirmed if it was photoshopped), but if I remember right it was claimed to have been a wild caught that was released immediately after.

(e) Found it! Apparently it was a smooth, though someone claimed the Virginia Living Museum has a blue rough. http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12299 Not totally axanthic I think, but as someone suggested possibly hypoxanthic. Doesn't say if he released it, and I'd have to register to msg him to ask.

These are incredible!! Really impressed. I'm really interested in starting a project like this myself for my red amel. Just out of interest, did it cost a bomb to do it?

Super awesome set ups! Sounds like it's a really fun way to express some creativity ;) someday I'm gonna end up with a beardie (hopes) and yours are giving me new inspiration!

Back