CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Ghost-anery: How do you tell the difference?

Old 11-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
tinker.boyd
Ghost-anery: How do you tell the difference?

I was given two cornsnakes by my brother-one belonged to our niece and I know it came from a reputable breeder. She was labeled ghost stripe. The other (a male) was from an unknown vendor at a reptile show and labeled anery tessera. They look very similar. How can I tell if the anery is in fact a ghost or not? Both have no markings on their ventral. Both have some yellow on their side towards their head/neck area. Both seem to have a light gray iris with a black pupil. I've read descriptions on ghost and anery and I'm not finding a could way to tell them apart.

Thanks, Tinker

Old 11-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
Dragonling
If it's a particularly light anery you might have to pair it to a homo hypo to be sure. Some are just paler than others, and tesseras tend to have a lighter overall appearance. It's generally wiser to assume there are less genes than more. If you post photos some of us might be able to guess, but without knowing the parentage it could be impossible to know for sure without breeding trials.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
Shiari
The key with anery versus ghost is the *quality* of the black pigment, not the quantity. Ghosts, instead of a true black, have dark chocolate, brown, gray, tan, or even purplish tone in the edges of the saddles.

So... as examples:

Torandre, dark ghost as a young snake:

Lia, light anery:

Up close of Tor's saddle edges:

Lia's saddle edges:

Dark bordered ghost hatchling:

More typical ghost hatchling:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google