CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

How do you deal?

Old 11-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
jabberwockn
How do you deal?

Hi,
It's been a while since I've posted on here. I came home today and wasn't greeted by my snake. So I started tapping the glass, he still ignored me (happened sometimes, like around shedding). I grabbed a flashlight and saw the reflection of his scales, then saw his head laying in the aspen. I just started crying.

Admittedly, I was in disbelief and kept trying to rouse a response. I didn't have it in my to remove him. I tried ignoring him until I could get help, but his tank was right next to where I spend most of my waking hours and now that I knew where he was, I could see him. I struggled to carry the entire set-up downstairs to the garage.

After calming down for a couple of hours... I don't know, I'm still in denial. I grabbed a spray bottle and went in the garage. The tank was unlocked and open! I was happy, he might have gotten out, but that meant he was alive. I sprayed water from afar when I saw his body. Convinced that I saw him move, I went to mist his face, but nothing. I guess I just knocked everything loose the first time.

I feel stupid for crying so much. This was my first pet. I got him when I started college after spending an entire year reading and researching daily. It would have been 6 years together in January and I don't understand what went wrong. This last thing I just did, let's me know I'm in denial and not taking it well. So how did/do you deal with the death of your pet?

Old 11-21-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
Nanci
I'm so sorry. Was he a baby when you got him? Snakes are experts at hiding everything wrong, until they pass. You cared for him well for six years- so it couldn't have been anything you did. And that's normal to be so sad- that's how we all are.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
jabberwockn
Yes, he was a hatchling when I got him. I know it was recommended to get a more established snake, but I wanted to try. That's why I kept researching lol. Plus, I was afraid of snakes back then so I thought I'd be more comfortable with one that I helped grow. He became my best stress reliever.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
DollysMom
I'm so sorry. RIP little snake.

Pet grief is real grief. Our snakes are as much our buddies as any pet and losing one for any reason hurts. Sounds like he was well loved and you gave him a good life.

I've had more than one pet die over the years. It is not unlike grieving the loss of any friend. There are pet grief Web sites though none I know of are snake oriented. In some places there are even pet grief hotlines. We have one in this area manned by vets.

I usually light a candle and say some prayers. If you are burying him, make a little coffin and decorate it. Maybe make him a nice bed of substrate and put some leaves over him. Then bury him under a nice rock. You can even paint the rock with his name or a little snake picture. Talk to friends, especially those who love snakes. They will understand. Write down some good memories. Write a poem about him. There are many things you can do to mark his passing and honor the relationship you've shared. Last, be gentle with yourself.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google