CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Playground for snakes?

Old 12-01-2016, 01:41 AM   #1
Tatianna
Playground for snakes?

So i dont feel comfortable letting my snake do anything except crawl around my body when i have her out but i feem like she wants more freedom to slither around the ground and really stretch out and explore.
Does anyone use like snake habitrails or anything like that? I dont want to just put her on my bed or something.
Thanks!

Old 12-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
Amanda47
I gather any junk I have around and put in the middle of the floor for mine. Shoes, a roll of paper towels, a kleenex box, books, anything that takes up space. You can also try to find something tall and sturdy, some corns like to climb over, under, and around things.

They do like to investigate, and mine are more likely to move around if they're not in the wide open space of an empty floor. Even if the snake's just on the bed, a T-shirt or a pillow gives them something to do.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
Twolunger
I did purchase what I think is called a " blanket storage box" from one of the retail stores. It is semi-clear plastic and about 1 1/2 X 3 feet with a latching lid. I added aspen bedding and laid out several empty paper towel rolls. You can tape them together or just shove them together. If you want to have a bend in them just cut out pieces of the roll and shape to fit your ideas. I used a food storage container to make a feeding station, to reward my snake(s) for hunting through the maze to find prey. I just cut out a circular hole in one side to insert the end of an empty paper towel roll. (No bedding in the feeding station.) The snakes got their exercise and did what they do in nature, hunt for prey. I only put one snake at a time in the box, and they love it.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
You can tape them together
Think of corns as toddlers; if there's anything sticky within reach, you can bet they'll get it stuck to them at one point or another.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
Twolunger
Quite true. Put the sticky side down. LOL.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:57 PM   #6
Dragonling
Sticky side down is still well within reach, and has caused many a missing scale and open wound in recent herp history. It would be best to avoid it entirely. Hot glue and cured aquarium sealant are a herper's best friends when it comes to sticking things together.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:25 PM   #7
Zincubus
Any kind of sticky tape is a complete NO -NO in a snake viv .. They rub over it she pull the edges up , most edges will get covered in substrate but there's always the chance that your precious snake will get stuck to a sticky edging eventually .

Just google images / snakes & sticky tape

Old 12-15-2016, 12:53 AM   #8
Twolunger
Did either of you give Tatianna advice about what to do instead of what not to do??? I told her what works for me, now how about telling her what works for you.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:40 AM   #9
Dragonling
I will not apologize for going off topic to correct dangerous advice.

I rarely let my adults wander on the floor. Occasionally I'll set them on the stairs and let them climb up or down or let them hide among the cat's toys, but for the most part I prefer to keep them in hand as much as possible. They're always going to seem to want more freedom. It's very easy for us to want to believe our noodles appreciate us and want to be with us, but they unfortunately seem to lack this capacity.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #10
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Did either of you give Tatianna advice about what to do instead of what not to do??? I told her what works for me, now how about telling her what works for you.

Apologies .
Your idea is splendid but I use a glue gun for attaching anything INthe vivs .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google