CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Genetic instinct

Old 04-27-2017, 05:21 AM   #1
MysticExotics
Genetic instinct

I have two Belgian Malinois, one is about 3-4 years old, adopted after he was brought up from NM where he spent 4 months in a shelter after being picked up as a stray.
(You may have read the thread "Meet Zephan".)
I also have a 1 year old female, that I brought home at 8 weeks old.

I started taking them to herding in January, mainly as a mental and physical outlet for them.
From day one, both the owner of he herd training facility and the lead trainer expressed how well they both did, especially my male, Zephan. He lit up the first day, and has loved every minute of it since!
We did IPO (Schutzhund) last year, which he enjoyed, but I have never seen him this happy in training, as he is in herding.

My pup had been imprinted on sheep and ducks at 6-7 weeks old, but she was 9 months old before I ended up taking her for training.
She took to it like she had been doing it all her life.

I doubt my male had any previous history in herding, I don't think anyone that would put that kind of training in would abandon their dog.

It gave me goosebumps to see genetics at play, as their instincts kicked in as soon as the sheep entered the ring.

I never considered titling in herding, but with as well as they have been doing, curiosity got the best of me and I asked about the Herding Instinct Test. I was told by the lead trainer and the owner that they both could pass that today, and that my male should be good to go for Junior Herding Dog Title at the next trial (Aug), so I have decided to trial both of them.

The lead trainer has been working my dogs in the ring, but is now beginning to show me how to work my male. Hopefully I will be good enough to work them in the trial in August.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
crackerhead
Beautiful animals doing exactly what they where bred to do. It always makes me sad when I see all the relinquished working dogs being labelled as difficult or mentally unstable, when all they want is a job. We breed for the perfect herding instincts and then place the resulting animal in a household with nothing to do all day. It must be like solitary confinement is for humans. I'm happy to see your shepherds getting to use all that talent.
Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Terri

Old 04-28-2017, 06:08 AM   #3
Nanci
Really cool!!! It's so fun to discover a "new" (to us) dog sport.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #4
MysticExotics
Thank you! It's funny how herding was almost an after thought. I had been talking about trying it, but French Ring was my focus.
They get to do both, every Saturday.

I will try to continue to get more pics periodically, but it will be harder, as I will be working on learning how to work them myself, instead of watching the trainer do it.

We'll see how good we get over the next 4 months, before the trial.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #5
MysticExotics
A quick video

Zephan herding

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google