CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Amel sunrise hatchlings

Old 06-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
Chip
Amel sunrise hatchlings

One was OOE yesterday, and the rest are following.

Here is the mama:

Most of us working with these suspect the mutation is in fact kastanie, amel and red factor (or coat, mask, disease, etc.).
These guys look like snows at hatching, turn into rather typical looking low-white orange amels, then get deep red, then at about 3 years, begin to develop white (especially noticeable in individuals with motley and stripe). There are some progress pics of some here: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126100

Thanks for looking.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
MysticExotics
Congrats on the babies!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Nanci
That mom is insane. Will the babies look like that??

Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Mark_L
I love the red "whatever" in mom. What does dad look like?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #5
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Congrats on the babies!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
That mom is insane. Will the babies look like that??
Presumably 50% at least will. She looked just like them when I bought her as a baby. My only question is whether or not the father was het red factor (assuming our guesses of what these are turn out to be correct). He was a motley amel sunrise, and did not develop as deep of reds as mom.

Fun fact, when she turned orange, at about a year old, I decided she wasn't a keeper and put her out for sale on my floor for $100 (less than I paid for her as a baby from SMR). A few sheds later, and I was whisking her back home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_L View Post
I love the red "whatever" in mom. What does dad look like?
He's motley and doesn't seem to be homo red factor. But she wasn't screaming red at his age, so I guess there's still an inkling of hope:

The plan for now is to hold back a son and make more like her. Then make them scaleless.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:21 PM   #6
LRDJ
Chip,
Congrats on a beautiful clutch! The mother looks phenomenal.

Orlando

Old 06-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #7
Chip
Thanks, Orlando. She's one of my favorites. If I had just a little more room, I'd keep this whole clutch and hold back the ones that look like her in three years!

Old 09-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
Chip
These have now darkened up to the point they look like regular amels, I'll get updated photos. They hatched pretty tiny, so I took some extra time to get them bulked up. Some of these will be up for sale next week.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
MysticExotics
I'm curious, does the red part act dominant, or is it appear to be recessive?

I know there is still much to be learned about these genes, and that they at least figured out that there are at least two red genes, one dominant, one recessive.

So many terms have been thrown around that it really is confusing. Even in researching Joe Pierce's threads, the terms have been used differently, and can be hard to follow.
I remember speaking with Don S a few years back, when it was believed that Red Coat and Red Factor, were the same thing, just people choosing to use different terms. I know Don uses the term Red Mask now, and I *think* it's for the dominant gene.

From what I have read, Joe P is/was working mostly with the recessive gene, and uses the term Red Coat more often, and with the work Bob did in testing the two genes, he uses RC for recessive, and RF for dominant, so I began using the terms in that aspect as well.

I really enjoy the RF gene, and I will likely continue with at least one clutch each year, in various projects.

I know I have talked about Cinaed alot (the het Cayenne Fire Tessera that ended up being RF) but he is my first experience with RF and I am still amazed at his progression, from hatchling to adult.

I do hope you continue with these projects, because they are stunning and while I might be a bit biased, I think you should keep making more! LOL

Old 09-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
Chip
Aw, thanks! The females are Soderberg's stock, and he did refer to it as "red mask," and it is supposed to be dominant... but this is the first clutch from this animal so I hate to assume its mode of inheritance. I am keeping 4.4 back for a year or two to determine holdbacks, and 2.2 permanently, so can probably answer that question better in 2017 or so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google