CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Introducing: Sir Seamus! (And his progression thread!)

Old 10-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
Zeina
Talking Introducing: Sir Seamus! (And his progression thread!)

Today's the day! I finally got to meet and hold my little dude for the first time! My very first snake... He's so sweet, and such a great temperament so far.

I snapped a couple of photos of him in his take home box and when I was holding him, I wanted to get a couple pics in before we drive back home to the Panhandle tomorrow.. Plus he needs a few days to acclimate to his home. I've left him alone now, and I peek in on him here and there lol. He appears to be having a blast in his water dish! And he's just exploring his travel hotel, trying to find any ways out.

He's an absolutely gorgeous snake, and I am so happy to finally call him mine!
Please enjoy my couple of grainy photos lol when I get my big girl Olympus camera out, it's ON photo-wise... Also, he has a skull pattern on his head, and my boyfriend was like "He just got ten times more awesome!"

**Nanci, if you're viewing, this is one of the four babies from AshelyNicole's first clutch, she said you were a huge help to her, and her babies are all beautiful!

And here's little man Seamus!

Old 10-20-2014, 01:41 AM   #2
ashleynicole
That's my baby! So glad he is going to have an awesome home. And yes a special thanks to everyone here who helped me get through my first breeding successfully.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:20 AM   #3
Galataya16
Thanks for sharing photos!! It's kinda hard to tell in photos (I'm sure you probably said in another post also) but what morph is he?

Old 10-22-2014, 05:54 AM   #4
Nanci
What a little cutie!!! He's an amel motley, right??

Old 10-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
ashleynicole
Yes Nanci he is one of mine. I gave her one that is a great feeder, I am still habging on to the one that's been difficult.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
ashleynicole
The mom was a sunglow motley (het anery) and Dad was a snow motley so that makes this one amel motley. And I'm not sure but I think theres a chance he could be het for something but I am still learning genetics.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Tavia
If dad was a snow, then this little guy would be 100% het anery.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
Zeina
So is anery defined as his pattern or lack of a specific color?? Does het mean that he would produce anery babies?? This whole morph system is totally confusing me lol

Old 10-22-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
Galataya16
Genetics is so much to take in! Still in the learning process myself (and please more knowledgeable people correct me if I'm wrong!) but motley would be like his pattern. He's an amelanistic (amel) which means he's lacking all black pigmentation. Anerythristic (anery) means they are lacking all red pigmentation. Het means that anery is in his genes and he could/would produce anery babies. He's really pretty. In the photos he looked more brown to me. Was thinking more carmel or something. Middle photo shows more amel though, if I'd have looked closer.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #10
Tavia
Oh yes! The whole genetics thing is very confusing! I will now seek to confuse you further! LOL!
Anery is a lack of certain colors, namely red and some/most yellows. There are several different genes that have the Anery affect, like Charcoal. Anery A was the first one found and is most commonly called just Anery. Anery B refers to Charcoal, as it was the second one found. All the later ones were given trade names to distinguish them.

Almost all corn genes are recessives, which means that the snake must receive a copy of the gene from both of it's parents to visually express the gene, however if it receives a copy from just one of the parents, it will not show that gene but has the ability to pass it on to some of it's offspring, there's about a 50-50 chance that each baby would receive that gene from that parent. A snake like that would be said to be het, short for heterozygous, which means it is carrying two different genes at the same allele, or spot, on the chromosomes.
Homo, short for homozygous, means one that is carrying two identical genes at the same allele, which in the case of a recessive gene, means it would be visually showing that gene. A homo animal can only give that particular gene to its offspring, so any babies from a homo parent are going to be 100% het for whatever that gene is.
A het parent can give it's offspring either a normal gene or the mutation/morph gene on that allele but since you generally can't tell an animal is het for a recessive gene just by looking at it, you would not be able to tell which babies are het or not. That's why you will see snakes marked as 66%, 50% or 100% het for things, that just refers to the mathematical probability or the chances, that each baby in the clutch has of being het for something.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google