CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Need help with corn snake

Old 03-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #11
HerpsOfNM
What are you using to monitor temps? If it's an analog thermometer, your original readings posted in the OP may be off, just as equally your bump into the 80s in post #9 may too be off.

I HIGHLY recommend using a digital thermometer to monitor your caging temps. Hot side is the preferred, but if at all possible a 2nd thermometer should also be used to watch the cool side temps. Hot side is more important though.

Alternatively you can opt to invest into a laser/IR based temperature gun. They can be found at harbor freight for about $10-$15 last I checked.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #12
HerpsOfNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmccown View Post
Sorry as to size I don't want a very small hatchling but I would also like to watch it grow so around 1 to 2 foot
An Okeetee, if wanting to watch color changes as the snake grows, would be a great option as to one of the morphs you've listed as liking. There are others too, butters and caramels come to mind as fun to watch color up from hatchling to adult.

This all dependent upon what you want to invest into as a pet snake.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:27 AM   #13
Twolunger
I have purchased Corns from VMS and Sean was always helpful and the pictures on his website are the actual Corn you will receive. Okeetees are one of my favorite Corns if you like brilliant colors like I do, but unfortunately my rack space is maxed out.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #14
Willmccown
Yes I am useing an analog I could go by harbor freight today and get one even though I hate thoses Chinese made tools
Would a corn snake of 6-12 months still be able to be "tamed" down ?

Old 03-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #15
DLena
Absolutely. My Gypsy was an adult from a store, and she's a total sweetheart. Ayasha, ET and Barry Allen were all from SMR's surplus listings, between 6-14 months old, and they come right onto my hand and hang out nicely. Corns are perfect pets!

Old 03-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #16
Dragonling
For a first snake, I recommend a well-established hatchling or even a yearling. VMS 2016s will still be pretty tiny, and honestly so will many of SMR's still I bet (I just received a 2016 last week at a scant 20g). Otherwise if you really want a teeny tiny new baby, you're gonna be waiting for most people to have 2017s. A few breeders have some early babies, but most of us are still waiting for eggs.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #17
Willmccown
Alright well il go by and get a temp gun this afternoon hopefully order the snake tomorrow
If y'all don't mind I'm going to list my tank set up and tell if and what I should change anything ots 50 gal hot side 2-3inch of aspen and 4-5 on cool side two hides and three fake plants

Old 03-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #18
Dragonling
It sounds great, but you're gonna have a heck of a time finding a hatchling in 2-3 inches of substrate in a 50 gallon tank lol. I start mine off in a 6 quart tub.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #19
DLena
To make a pet out of a snake, you need to keep stress to an absolute minimum. Digging all around for a little noodle is going to cause stress. It's going to try to escape/avoid detection by moving away from where you are digging. Eventually you will pin it down somewhere and have to grab it. It will flail about. VERY STRESSFUL. Start your noodle in a small bin. To heat it, still use a UTH with a T-stat. Just set one end of the tub on the UTH. Much less stress for everyone. Really, the snake will be much calmer and will become a pet quickly. Your 50 gallon is fine for an adult.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #20
Willmccown
If you wouldn't mind could you go into more detail with the tub set up or is it just that simple ?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google