CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Need help with corn snake

Old 03-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #21
DLena
Give me a little bit. I'll try to do pictures.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:14 PM   #22
Willmccown
Thank you very much

Old 03-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #23
DLena
1. Rubbermaid TakeAlongs - almost 6 quarts- buy at Walmart, Wegmans. A pack of 5 cost me $10. Use extras for your kitchen leftovers.

2. Soldering iron from Walmart, $14. Heat it up and carefully use it to make holes in container. For a hatchling, use only the tip for tiny holes. The holes on mine are the full diameter of the heating point because I had a juvenile rosy boa in mine for quarantine.- I make holes all the way around.

3. Heat pad from a pet store or on-line. I bought this one from HorseLoverz.com for under $20. Quick arrival, too. Mine is larger so I could use it as I needed a larger tub.

4. T-stay also on line for $35 and digital thermometer at pet store for under $10.

5. Place probe for t-stay and thermometer on a piece of tinfoil large enough to wrap the UTH in one layer. Cover them with sticky side of heat mat. I leave the paper on the UTH and never had a problem. Make sure you place both probes near each other and firmly wrap the tin foil around the UTH. Just tear the foil so the cords stick out.

6. You need a water dish and two tiny hides. My picture shows a Tupperware container for water and one hide because my other little ones are in use. You can use anything small, dark and secure as a hide. And anything nonporous for water.

7. I found a second tiny hide. I use Aspen bedding so the snake can burrow. Dig down into aspen a bit with the hides so the snake has a tight fit.

8. I set wrapped UTH on styrofoam sheet to protect surface of table and give stability to the container. Make sure one hide is on UTH, on top of the two probes. You are good to go.

From that container, I move babies into a 4 gallon sterilite tub. Exactly the same set up. I use binder clips, 3 to a side to keep the lid super secure. Corns can squeeze out of tiny openings.

I'm posting the pictures in my album on my home page. Give me a few more minutes. I hope this helps.

There are other ways to do this, this is just how I do it. Let us all know how it works for you!

Old 03-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #24
Willmccown
What do you think about me just setting up my old 20 gal ? I know it's probly still to big but better then my 50

Old 03-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #25
DLena
Go to my albums. For some reason the pictures loaded last one first. The 20 gallon is still too big. A 5 gallon would have a better floor area for a very young corn.
I know my directions are too wordy. I'm a HS English teacher and it's an occupational hazard! Lol

Old 03-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #26
Willmccown
Yea pictures help a lot haveing just the heating pad will keep it warm enough?

Old 03-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #27
DLena
Yes. It's a small area to heat.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:54 PM   #28
Willmccown
Well I know to get started on that set up then
what is roughly the size of a 8month old corn ?

Old 03-14-2017, 09:36 PM   #29
DLena
It really varies. Figure around 16 inches, head less than twice the size of the eraser on the end of a pencil.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #30
Dragonling
I can take some photos of my largest and smallest 2016s tomorrow morning with a ruler. I have everything from 20g eating large pinkies to nearly 80g ready to move up to hopper mice in a feeding or two. How often they're fed + genetics will affect the size. Most large breeders maintenance feed the babies they intend to sell, hence my 20g baby. My others were my own holdbacks though, and I've fed them heavily to get them growing quickly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google