CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Need help with corn snake

Old 03-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #51
Karl_Mcknight
you stated he was in a 50 gallon cage. That's a pretty big cage for a corn snake. Nothing wrong with that, but it should have tons of hiding places. Bigger cages means you need more clutter. I'd have about 8 or 10 of those fake vines, possibly even go all the way around the tank. And several more of those half log or rock hides.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #52
Willmccown
I could put him in my 20 gal but I'd like to let him have room to explore a bit

Old 03-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #53
Willmccown
Hey y'all he is still doing great only thing is he seems to like the cool side a bit more and to me the temps seem better with the heat lamp turned off I have a uvb lamp still on I have been told that snakes don't need uvb like lizards but I have extra bulbs so I might as well use them so y'all have any lighting suggestions to still provide him with a "basking" spot but not increase the temp to much

Old 03-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #54
Karl_Mcknight
Corn snakes do not use basking lights. They don't require them.

Ordinary room light is all you need. Try to give them about 12 hours of ambient light and 12 hours of no light each day to keep their "Body Clock" and Metabolism in check.

Having a "Basking Light" overhead can heat the cage too much and it will also dry out the air lowering the humidity.

Most of us place a Heat Mat under 1 end of the cage hooked up to a good thermostat. We then place a "Hide Box" directly over the heat pad. We check the temp inside the Hide Box, and adjust the thermostat until the temp inside the Hide Box is about 85 degrees. (Anywhere from about 82 to 86 is generally ok).

The other side of the cage is left un-heated and allowed to be at room temperature (about 70 to 76). Try not to let it drop below 70. I keep my cool side at about 73 and the warm side at about 85 all the time.

The snake will go to both sides, warm or cool, depending on "What he wants to do" and not what you think he should do.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #55
Willmccown
I already have the under tank heat pad in place it's just hot here high 70s in my house I just don't want to over heat him

Old 03-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #56
Karl_Mcknight
if you have the thermostat set properly how would you do that?

Old 03-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #57
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmccown View Post
I have a uvb lamp still on I have been told that snakes don't need uvb
You got a Creamsicle corn right. Low output UVB bulbs used with corn snakes is generally ok even though unnecessary. BUT it's been known to cause eye issues and possibly blindness with amelanistic snakes. The lack of melanin in the eyes makes them sensitive to UVB lighting. The stronger the UVB the worst it can be.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #58
Willmccown
I fed him yesterday with a thawed small mouse he did really well came out from the bedding smelled it and took it in about 10 seconds watched him eat it then left him alone check this morning and he is doing great thank y'all for all the help

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google