CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Water Conditioner

Old 04-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
beckyhiker
Water Conditioner

Hi again. I'm sorry for posting another question so soon.

The snake kit I bought came with instant water conditioner. My water comes from a well so it shouldn't have chlorine or chloramines. Do people really use water conditioners for their snake's water from the tap? I've seen it suggested somewhere to use bottled water, is that better? Do you still add conditioner to bottled water?

Thank you for your help!

Old 04-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Dragonling
Well water shouldn't have chlorine unless an injector is used. Some bottled water might have chlorine, but most will not. You may have to research individual companies to be sure. Conditioning tap water is better for them, but I don't think many bother with it. When I get into fishkeeping, I will probably build my own reverse osmosis system and will probably use it for my snakes as well.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
daddio207
I'm on well water. I ONLY use bottled spring water for my reptiles. Even though I recently installed a whole house water softener and filter system. For 60 cents a gallon it is cheap insurance for the health of my animals.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
Amanda47
I've only ever used tap water for mine, and they're fine.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
Twolunger
I used well water for many years, but just ran it through an inexpensive charcoal filter, just for my own peace of mind. Tap water from a municipal water treatment facility is usually treated with either chlorine or chloramine. Chlorine is a gas that can be dissipated by leaving it in an open container for 24 hours, or boiling for a short period of time. Chloramine is a combination of chlorine and ammonia. Water treatments or conditioners will effectively neutralize it, however, make sure the treatment will neutralize both chlorine and ammonia. Ascorbic acid, good old fashioned vitamin C, will also neutralize the chloramine. I just add half a 500 ml tablet in a gallon of water. For the average pet snake keeper a gallon of distilled water purchased at the food market will go a long way.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
beckyhiker
Thank you everyone for your replies!

I use an approximately 70/30 mix of well water and RO/distilled water for my planted South American cichlid tank as we have somewhat hard water. I use water conditioner for them at water change time when I remember, but I'm pretty sure there is no chlorine anyway.

I think that I will probably alternate between bottled spring water and our well water for Zaya. I don't really like the thought of adding dechlorinating agents, synthetic organic polymers, and chelating agents to her drinking water if it is not necessary. The other ingredient is electrolytes which I know are necessary for living organisms, so I would add the water conditioner if it was necessary for that reason.

Thank you again for your help!

Old 04-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
Karl_Mcknight
You could also invest 20 bucks in one of those "Brita Water Filter Jugs" that you fill up with water and it trickles through a filter complex ridding it of chlorine and flouride and ammonia as well as lots of other nasty things found in drinking water. This will cost you a little bit up front, but it's cheaper than buying bottled water, and might even be safer than the well water you have. You have to replace the water filter element ever so often, but they are only a few bucks and last quite a while.

I've had mine for years, and it makes really good tasting drinking water, for both me and my snake.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:52 PM   #8
DollysMom
I use a Brita filter pitcher for my snake's water. It removes chlorine and some other contaminants. My son has raised his snake to 14 years old using a Brita pitcher for water. We are both on Chicago city water.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:16 PM   #9
beckyhiker
Good suggestion, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Old 04-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #10
daddio207
Just to elaborate why I use store bought gallons of water. We have a very high iron count from our well water. Even though I installed a water filter and softener system I still prefer to use bottled. It's the bacteria that I worry about from the well. Even after occasional bleaching of the well and sterilizing the softener system I still am concern of the changing conditions of the well. In spring, for instance, the groundwater level dramatically rise. Since we are close to a lake most wells are fairly shallow. With the septic systems in the area I worry about possible bacterial contamination. I just don't see the justification to save a few dollars a week to use the well water.
The brand of water I buy sterilizes through ozonation which is a greater disinfection than chlorination. There are no added ingredients either.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google