CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

over-active corn?

Old 02-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
BlueDolphins
over-active corn?

I got my newest corn snake, about 1 week ago, at a local pet store, a butter.

I have noticed that he does not rest AT ALL. He is constantly slithering around his tank, day and night. I am in the room from 6-7am, 2-11pm and check on him about every hour or two from 12am-5am. I have never seen him go in one of the hides and rest.

I have a UTH in the cage, thermostat controlled at about 81-83*F. He has 2 hides, one on each side, and aspen as bedding.

All of my other corns rarely ever come out, and I see it odd...

Actually I just looked in there, and he IS in fact in one of the hides on the warm side, but this is the first time.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
djfreebase
He is just checking his new enviroment out, perfectly normal. Give him time and he will settle down.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Wylie
Yep, some of them do that. Flash was all over the tank for hours on end a few days after I got him. I think it just depends on the snake's personality, they're all a bit different in their behaviors.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Snake Dave
Wayne and Wylie are right. Despite popular belief, snakes have personalities and they differ greatly. Some are content to rest after a few hours of being placed in their new homes, others are more highly-strung and will check every possible place for an escape route.

If this behaviour continues however, it means he's not happy with his environment. If it persists, try to give him more cover (fake plants etc.) and maybe move him to a room that's less busy?

All the best

David

Old 02-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Louiscypher74
mine does that when he is ready to eat, when was he last fed?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
patm1313
Lucky... My corn is the opposite. He never comes out, i never see him except for handling and feeding.I would love to see him slithering around as i come in the door one day.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
Topazfyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by patm1313 View Post
Lucky... My corn is the opposite. He never comes out, i never see him except for handling and feeding.I would love to see him slithering around as i come in the door one day.
I'm with you mate, I get to see mine out on rare occasions since I can't really see them at night (boarding school schedule >_<).

Still, I also agree with Dave. If this persists it could be that he needs more cover. In addition to hides and plants, you could also try to make the substrate a thicker layer so they can burrow more.

How old is it and what substrate are you using? I know that some of the younger one find the aspen to be too rough and their skin/scales get irritated. Along those lines, what is the humidity. Excessive attempts to find an escape route are normal for a new snake, but if it persists it could indicate some sort of irritation he wants to get away from.

Louis also brings up a good point. It could be that he is in hunting mode and is searching for food. Once he is fed the activity may cease for a bit until he wants to eat again.

Another possibility is that he is in shed. It's possible that you missed his blue phase since you just got him and he is trying to find places to get the shed going. If you notice any wrinkling in the cervical area or if he is rubbing his nose a lot as he is roaming, this is a likely cause for the behavior.

Overall I don't think this should be a problem, but what if it persists after his first feed you may wish to investigate. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google