CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

OW! I just accidently did something horrible

Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
the10thplanet
OW! I just accidently did something horrible

Hey I just had a very shocking experience with my new corn. He was just in his container and I was getting ready to clean it out like I do every day and he started to climb up the edges to try to get out.. Well i guided him with my hand to go back in and he did, all was fine. On the way back in I thought he was fully in but the very tip of his tail was still kind of where the grooves were and I closed the lid and he went absolutely ballistic! It was like he was having a seizure and I didn't know what was wrong, not realising what I had done until a second later, then I released the lid and he was free again.

Now he is very jump and I'm scared to even open the lid in case it scares him even more.. He seems very stressed I think I am just going to leave him for a couple of days to wallow in his emotions.

Do you think I did any permanent mental damage to my poor little forky?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
rolandslf
I don't know about Mental damage but it is possible to have done some permanent physical damage to the tail.

Ciao

Old 01-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Mr.AJ
Leave him alone to calm down and he'll be fine, tip of his tail may be damaged but nothing thats going to be life threatening...

Old 01-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Msskellington
yeah. he should be fine. just let him calm down....

someone on another forum posted they actually clipped a piece of tail off in this same situation and he's fine. just a lil stumpy...

Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
SNAKEWISPERA
Keep the cage clean, and raise temps abit( a very little bit)....If you see the tail becoming infected get to a vet.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
Checkerbelly
Too bad you can't just take it to the vet, huh? You'll be out of luck if something more serious were to happen.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
MerlinsPop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKEWISPERA View Post
Keep the cage clean, and raise temps abit( a very little bit)....If you see the tail becoming infected get to a vet.
Check to see if his skin was broken, and if so watch for infection. If there was damage to the skeleton, I'm not sure there's a lot that can be done other than watch to see if it can manage okay.

Those little guys can be so hard to put into a container when they don't want to be contained!

Otherwise, I agree that the best thing to do is let him be for a couple three days and keep an eye on him.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
SNAKEWISPERA
Thanks Bmissed that part, was buy when I posted that.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Plissken
Hopefully no real damage as done. These guys are hardier than many think. I once trapped my ratsnake's tail under a big heavy rock and he was just fine. Scared me though, there's a post about here somewhere on the forum archives.

Just leave him alone to destress for a few days, see what happens. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:05 PM   #10
the10thplanet
Thanks all... The tail looks fine but there could be internal damage I guess.
I feel quite bad for him

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google