CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

OW! I just accidently did something horrible

Old 02-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #41
Roy Munson
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

C'mon folks. Give the guy a break. If your main concern is the issue of him being a law-breaker, then review all your behaviors, particularly those that involve driving a car.

If your big issue is availability of vet care, then you'd be better off crusading against the millions of pet owners all around you who wouldn't pay for vet care if the world's best vet practiced across the street. I'm not saying that it's not an issue, and I'm not saying that because people do worse things, it's ok for 10thplanet to do a wrong thing. I don't know. How many new keepers don't research anything, so they don't know the importance of cage security, and their snakes escape (which means certain death in most cases)? Lots. And then they post about it and (almost) everyone says: "Sorry to hear it! Good luck! Hope you find him! Don't lose hope." If they deserve a break, so does this guy. Here, I'll say it: "Good luck 10thplanet! I hope your snake stays healthy and never requires vet care!"

If the main issue is the risk that is posed to the native Australian fauna by corn invasion, then I guess I'm a little more sympathetic to that viewpoint. However, I think Pandora's box is already open. That doesn't mean we have to dig in and fling around its contents, but I guess my view on human impact to the planet doesn't separate man from nature as much as some peoples' views do. "Rafting" is an important mechanism in distributing species to new locations, where they often evolve into new species after outcompeting some native in its niche. We humans have just provided the most far-reaching rafting opportunities that the world's species have ever known. And any dodo can tell you which introduced species has had the most negative impact on native flora and fauna worldwide.

10planet: I WOULD advise you to remove "Australia" from your profile. For 99.99% of your posts, your location won't be relevant anyway. Why ask for trouble? If I kept non-amels in New Jersey (where only red-eyed corns may be kept), or any corn snake in Georgia (where NO corns may be kept), you wouldn't see me posting my location...

Old 02-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #42
Louiscypher74
Can I just point out that a good percentage of people owning corns will be in areas that dont have corns (or snakes at all) im in UK and we have only 2 native snake species, surely these other places would suffer the same fate as Australia if these species where to take hold, Australia has indiginious snake species six in the top ten most venomous which would find corns a nice snack, thats not to say Australias eco systems wouldnt be affected or any others for that matter only to point out corns are worldwide now and could affect any non native countries/continents

Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #43
Corny Noob
Why for you bump this :'(

Old 02-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #44
Louiscypher74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corny Noob View Post
Why for you bump this :'(
No idea what that means

I was just backing up what roy said, we all own corns/snakes that are non native we are all risking the native eco systems even if the law says its ok in our country

Old 02-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #45
ForkedTung
wisdom

Quote:
And any dodo can tell you which introduced species has had the most negative impact on native flora and fauna worldwide.
Roy Munson

I agree...http://cornsnakes.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Old 02-18-2008, 03:17 AM   #46
Lokheed
Quote:
Originally Posted by the10thplanet View Post
Do you think I did any permanent mental damage to my poor little forky?
I know I am chiming in late (Hey, I just joined), but I would have held him and let him calm down in my hands. He has to know that you will not hurt him and that he is safe with you and can trust you. Since he was out of your hands when it happened, he probably won't associate the danger and pain with you per se, but still, better to console her regardless. Dealing with you and the pain were in close proximity...

I try to create a safe heaven with my snakes. Which is why I don't like others fondling them for too long, or taking them out somewhere. I also try to limit noise and a lot of quick movement...

Hope that helps

Old 02-18-2008, 03:33 AM   #47
SNAKEWISPERA
Just looked at this posy again, and.

YOU HAVE FREE CARPETS LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google