CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Normal Behavior?

Old 02-18-2008, 03:11 AM   #11
Lokheed
As Nanci had said, totally normal. When is a snake is full, it will hide and digest. This is a heavy-duty thermal event. Some snakes can raise their body temps by as much as 13 degrees during digestion... So if they have a big meal, it may take a little longer.

Moulting also takes its toll. Basically the same digestive enzymes that the stomach uses to break down the prey will be released between the new "skin" and the old. This is what releases the moult. This process takes a toll. So basically you have your little guy working overtime

I wouldn't worry too much about humidity. My snakes get perfect sheds with around 40... so as long as you got it above that, you are good to go. If anything remains, get the area wet and it should peel right off as they slide against something. You don't need to put them in a rainforest As long as they are healthy, the enzymes will do their work to release the old skin

Old 02-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
tradernick
If it weren't for feedings and occasional handling, I'd never see my corn at all. Mouser is a great eater, but disappears for days afterwards. He used to come out at dusk and roam around the viv but not so much right now. His activity (or lack thereof) seems to come in cycles. I take him out and handle him whenever I feel like it...every 2 or 3 days or sometimes just a few minutes before feeding. When he's in blue he hides even more than normal...and of course I don't handle him during that time, and typically I leave him alone for a couple of days after feedings, too.
I did read somewhere that after they're a year old they can often become more active, so I'm not worried. I just keep the pinkies coming
Nick

Old 02-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
Wylie
I'm getting impatient now cause as of Friday I discovered he went clear so now I'm just waiting for him to finally shed! Seems like forever since I got to handle him or feed him!

Good news though, last night he finally went into the moist hide I put in there for him, yay! So perhaps he was just waiting til he was ready to actually start shedding? Either that or he just finally decided to go check out the new hide, I don't know.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google