• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Dekay's Visitor

Aozora

Blue Sky Reptiles
Well, we let the black rat go and a few minutes later my stepdad (who's terrified of snakes) started screaming about a snake he found. I went out and caught the little thing and brought her in. She was so dull in color I couldn't tell for sure what she was, but I assumed she was a young garter based on her size. I stuck her in a spare cage for the time being because I wanted my roommate, who was at work, to see her.

She shed immediately, and in her new skin I could see she wasn't a garter. She's a little Dekay's snake, and I think she may be gravid. We will be hunting slugs for her this evening; if we can find some and get her to feed, I'll take some pictures.

I also included her perfect shed skin in the pictures.

Attachments

• DekayShed.JPG
    DekayShed.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Dekay1.JPG
    Dekay1.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Dekay2.JPG
    Dekay2.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Dekay3.JPG
    Dekay3.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 146
They're ovoviviparous--they give birth to live young, like garters. I'm highly considering keeping her as a guest until she has her babies, for the sheer "aww" factor of how tiny and adorable they will be. I mean, she's tiny--how itty-bitty will the wormlets be?

And she'll be pretty easy to feed--dig up a worm or catch a slug every few days. We've got plenty of those, and my mom is actually thrilled that we found a snake that likes to eat slugs. :p

Ooh, interesting! The black rat must have let her know that you are a good home for snakes.

I hope she has her wormies for you! I'd love to see how teeny and precious they are.

Wormnomnom

We couldn't find Thumbelina (as we're calling her) any slugs, but we did find her a couple of small worms. I was only able to snap one picture of her eating two worms, because this tiny dainty little snake hit those worms like a Mack truck and swallowed them in 5 bites. I'd read Dekay's snakes can be shy and hard to get to feed in captivity... not her.

It looks like if she is gravid, she's early on in the development process. If you look closely at the picture, you can see where her vent is as she narrows considerably past it. Time will tell if she is gravid, although she's certainly eating as if she's feeding 3-21 babies.

(Also, look closely at her eyes in the picture--you can see her "mascara", which makes Dekay's really adorable in my opinion.)

what is this i don't even.

Try #2 for picture.

Attachments

• Wormnomnom.JPG
    Wormnomnom.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 108
Back