CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Is this a ghost?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
Susan
It's a ghost. That peachy saddle color is what is known as "pastel" and is very common in ghosts. Anery-based corns often have a brown color to their saddles, and lightening it up with hypo turns it that peachy color. That high peach color tends to change and darken as the snake ages and more melanin is laid down, but you can often still see small patches of the high peach color if you look close. The last 2 photos in my example are of the same snake as a 3 year old and as a 9 year old.

And Josh, "Alabama" corns (and "Carolina" corns) are just normals that may be locality (but not guaranteed), nothing special about them except a fancy name to try to add a few dollars to their sale price.

Here are some example of "pastel" anery-based morphs (granite, anery, ghost, another ghost):

Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
carnivorouszoo
I have a question, if ghosts darken as you say then what is my darkling? She has the light colored eyes of a ghost but is fading with each shed. her saddle borders are a rich chocolate brown but her checks appear a light brownish black, darker than the borders. I can get a new pic, but am trying to learn about ghosts. The background color on her neck (on the top part) is slowly turning a slightly pinkish tan instead of gray. This pic doesn't do her justice as blue washes out her color. She looks best on a brown or orange background (lol my snake is an autumn)

Old 08-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
Jessicat
Wow, thanks for the photos Susan. Before seeing those I would have thought that despite the light saddles it had way to much melanin to be a hypo. I can't see it as a Ghost.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #14
Blue Apple Herps
Looks normal to me (or a miami). Belly checks seem to dark to by hypo and the orange/red in the saddles doesn't seem right for it to be a pastel ghost or anery. Even Susan's examples have that "pastel" look to the saddles, whereas the OPs just seem too orange and red.

Just my 2¢.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #15
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorouszoo View Post
I have a question, if ghosts darken as you say then what is my darkling? She has the light colored eyes of a ghost but is fading with each shed. her saddle borders are a rich chocolate brown but her checks appear a light brownish black, darker than the borders. I can get a new pic, but am trying to learn about ghosts. The background color on her neck (on the top part) is slowly turning a slightly pinkish tan instead of gray. This pic doesn't do her justice as blue washes out her color. She looks best on a brown or orange background (lol my snake is an autumn)
The anerys and ghosts I have produced change during their first couple of years...the anerys tend to get lighter and the ghosts peachier (if they are males - females are a bit different, often not getting peachy), then both get more melanin gradually as they age (5 years and up). Your snake is acting like an anery by getting lighter, resembling a ghost. Which is why it can be very difficult determining the exact morph by phenotype alone.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #16
Susan
I tweaked the OP's photos, increasing the lightness and color to better represent true life. Yes, it is a bit dark for a ghost, but then, I've seen some corns labeled as ghosts that are blacker than the darkest anery I've owned. The saddle color is just not red/orange enough to be a normal, even a really light Miami, IMO. Now it may be a really light and pastel anery, but again, sometimes it can be difficult telling some anerys from some ghosts.

Another example...anery striped motley as a 2 yr old and as a 7 yr old. His brother, who I still have, went through the same color changes. They both looked like typical black anery motleys at hatching.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #17
streck8118
it looks like a ghost to me, looks kinda like the two adults I picked up in Daytona!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #18
Sweetseraph
Well I'm glad it's not just me! LOL If it makes any difference, the snake is supposed to be a female. It will be interesting to see what the owner was told the snake is. I don't think he bought it; I think someone gave it to him, so he doesn't likely know what the parents were, etc. He has expressed some interest in breeding it. What could he breed it to to help prove what it might be?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #19
Blue Apple Herps
Breed it to a ghost!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #20
streck8118
Breed it with a ghost, you should get 100% Ghosts.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google