CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Hybrid Morph Mathematics

Old 10-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Pal-O-Mine
Hybrid Morph Mathematics

Soooo...say someone had a striped snow corn and bred it to a milk snake, what would be the result??? Anyone have pics of the result???

Devon

Old 10-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
KillerCami
I was wondering. what you would get if you bred a milk and a corn? Hmmmmm that would be interesting

Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
ZoologyGirl
Depends on what kind of milksnake.

Either way, though, it will be 50% corn/50 milk.

Look up sinacorn, cornduran, pueblacorn for examples that I can think of, though I'm sure there are more milksnake cross possibilities.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
KillerCami
Neato I would love to make some hybrids

Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Outcast
I am glad you asked that question. I am looking into starting some awesome hybrid projects in the future. Hopefully I can get what I am looking for.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
dionythicus
Hybrid genes work in strange ways. I've seen hybrids from the same clutch (corn/king/milk) with amazing variation. One wide stripe, one banded, two with almost identical patterns but totally different background colours. It takes a few generations, I think, to get consistency. I'm aiming for really stunning hybrids down the road, but not any particular look. I want variety in my lines.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Outcast
I want to try to start a line of white sided beasts or Turbo Corns. I am not pretty sure if the gene's work that way but I hope so.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
martin-bernstein
I have always wondered two things about hybrids:
1. Does the amel gene (or any other common recessive trait common in most rat snakes) matchup? In other words if you breed an amel corn to an amel black rat, do you get amel beasts?
2. If this is not case, would one get F1 normals het amel if one bred an amel corn to a normal black rat? And would those produce amel beasts in the F2?
Anyone iwth experience/knowledge on this?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:19 AM   #9
paulh
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-bernstein View Post
I have always wondered two things about hybrids:
1. Does the amel gene (or any other common recessive trait common in most rat snakes) matchup? In other words if you breed an amel corn to an amel black rat, do you get amel beasts?
2. If this is not case, would one get F1 normals het amel if one bred an amel corn to a normal black rat? And would those produce amel beasts in the F2?
Anyone iwth experience/knowledge on this?
Both crosses have been done.

The corn snake amelanistic gene matches up with the black rat snake tyrosinase-negative albino mutant gene. The F1 baby snakes are amelanistic (= albino).

The corn snake amelanistic gene does not match up with the black rat snake tyrosinase-positive albino mutant gene. The F1 baby snakes are double het and look normal for corn/black rat hybrids. F2 babies could look normal or could be some type of albino -- either corn snake amelanistic or black rat snake tyrosinase-positive albino or both.

I do not know about any of the other mutant genes.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:51 AM   #10
Pal-O-Mine
I'm just asking because a friend of mine came home from Mars with a BEAUTIFUL adult, striped, snow, corn; her first female. ( And its friendly as a kitten! ) Her plans were to breed it with her normal or my amel and I was wondering what colors might be the result of such a pairing. Then I remembered that there are corn/milk hybrids and I was just wondering what the color result would be of such a pairing, a snow stripe with a milk. ( Sorry I don't know what kinda milk. )

Not saying we would actually DO it! We're both virgins when it comes to breeding snakes. But I was just wondering.

Personally I think she needs just one more female corn. But that's just me.

Devon

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google