CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Scaleless Corns

Old 10-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
dng123
Scaleless Corns

I see these pop up every once in a while and there doesnt seem to be much info on them. Is there anybody that works with them or knows of someone who does? Any info would be awesome!

Old 10-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Chip
There was a lot of controversy as to whether or not these are hybrids when they popped up. If this has been established one way or the other, I haven't heard. I know Brian Barcyzk is working with them, but I've yet to see one in person. There was a long discussion about them a couple of years ago: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63920

Old 10-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
dng123
Wow! Not really surprised though. Everyone has their own opinion on things. I'll have to talk to Brian about these, I've seen other scaleless colubrids at shows in the past.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
cornmorphs
I dont know either if they are corns or hybrid, but from each time I see them at the hamm show, I know I want one.
I really like them, the colours are so vivid.
The price is still a bit off putting, most are still 2000 euros, some a lot more.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
crackerhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
There was a lot of controversy as to whether or not these are hybrids when they popped up. If this has been established one way or the other, I haven't heard. I know Brian Barcyzk is working with them, but I've yet to see one in person. There was a long discussion about them a couple of years ago: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63920
As far as the animals Brian and Graham of Strangecargo are working with they are Hybrids. To my knowledge Brian hasn't ever claimed otherwise and Graham is very forthright about their origin.

Hybrid issues aside, much of the controversy has been over the ethicasy of breeding animals that lack scales. So far to my knowledge no ill effects of scalessness have been shown in the daily life of the animals. They breed, eat, shed, grow and move much the same as their scaled brethren.

Graham might be a good person to chime in on this thread but I think he is presently offshore working.

Terri

Old 10-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
oliviez
in france we have scaleless , the parents are corn and emory ;-)

http://www.reptilis.com/detail2.php?id=435

Old 10-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
ShenziSixaxis
Uhh, can someone explain WHAT scaleless corns are? The French page posted above me didn't translate very well.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
StrangeCargo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dng123 View Post
I see these pop up every once in a while and there doesnt seem to be much info on them. Is there anybody that works with them or knows of someone who does? Any info would be awesome!
I'm raising up a pair of HET Scaleless Cornsnakes from BHB Enterprises. I just couldn't afford the $6K each for scaleless animals. These animals are actually creamsicles (one of the grandparents was a Emory's cornsnake)... They'll be no different than any other creamsicle corns you see for sale (lol- other than not having dorsal scales)...

I also work with Scaleless Texas Ratsnakes. I figure the scaleless corns will be alot like the scaleless TX rats but without the attitude.

They EAT fine (you feed F/T since they lack scales, a mouse bite could break the skin easier than if they had scales protecting them).

They shed fine. I do provide a moist hide (like I do for a majority of my regular corns and rats) to help during sheds.

They crawl fine- they have their belly scales for grip (also have labial scales around mouth and misc scales- varying in amount- over their bodies.).

Here's some pics of the Scaleless Texas Ratsnakes- the corns are just hets so they look like another other regular corn right now...

Your friend,
Graham

Old 10-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
StrangeCargo
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
As far as the animals Brian and Graham of Strangecargo are working with they are Hybrids. To my knowledge Brian hasn't ever claimed otherwise and Graham is very forthright about their origin.

Hybrid issues aside, much of the controversy has been over the ethicasy of breeding animals that lack scales. So far to my knowledge no ill effects of scalessness have been shown in the daily life of the animals. They breed, eat, shed, grow and move much the same as their scaled brethren.

Graham might be a good person to chime in on this thread but I think he is presently offshore working.

Terri

Thanks Terri! Just posted some info and pics for everyone. Yeah, there's always been all these rumors about problems by people WHO HAVE NEVER OWNED THEM! I must say after owning the 3.3 Scaleless Texas Rats for sometime now, there are NO issues...these things thrive. I feed F/T and give a semi moist hide during shedding... people are really blown away when they see/hold them in person!

The amount of scales vary from animal to animal. I'm gues that breeding a scaleless X scaleless will give babies with almost 0 dorsal scales (or at least a few less than het X het... kinda like selective/line breeding corns for bright colors or thick borders).

I'm super excited about the Scaleless Corn project... they are BIG '09's but I'm gonna wait until 2012 to breed them... I have WAY too much money invested into them to risk eggbinding or breeding the female a tad too small.

Your friend,
Graham

Old 10-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #10
crackerhead
Graham I'm glad you were able to add credence to this discussion.
I can't wait till you produce some scaleless corns. You know I just want to feel them.

Terri

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google