CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

View Poll Results: What name are you willing to call it?
None: I'm sticking with "bloodred" only. 35 68.63%
Episkiastic 5 9.80%
Diffused 7 13.73%
Other (please post with your answer) 4 7.84%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: are you going to call "bloodred" anything else?

Old 04-09-2004, 09:46 PM   #1
Serpwidgets
Poll: are you going to call "bloodred" anything else?

Just curious if, after the latest thread, anyone intends to attempt an alternative name for the pattern. I don't expect anyone will completely drop the term "bloodred" right now, but will you list another name alongside it this year?

Old 04-09-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Simon
dont' know..
but I guess I am used to calling it a bloodred....so I guess that I'll stick to the name bloodred..

Old 04-09-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
SODERBERGD
Bloodreds. . .

I'll be sticking to bloodred 'till a better name comes along. As for pattern identification, I'll probably just let the customer decide what he/she likes. I usually have several pictures on my site and the customers will say they want one like image two or image three or whatever. Then, I send them one that should turn out like the example they chose. I've never had a customer ask for any pattern except most ask for ones with the least pattern as adults.

Remember, this might be the largest corn snake forum on the WWW, but not the only one. Has anyone asked for suggestions over there?

Old 04-09-2004, 11:37 PM   #4
Clint Boyer
Gotta go with Bloodred.

None of the others do anything at all for me.

Old 04-10-2004, 03:20 AM   #5
Walter Smith
My vote is.........

to stay with the name that it has always been, BLOODRED. Everyone has known this particular look with this particular name for too long to change it.

I know that in the begining, the term was tagged to the RED unicoloration, but has now been representing the pattern. Either way, when someone says BLOODRED, you know what they are talking about.

Walter

Old 04-10-2004, 04:34 AM   #6
camus
my vote:

morph + blood like

caramelblood,
butterblood,
lavenderblood

don´t want call anything "red" without any red in it

rgds

camus

Old 04-10-2004, 11:50 AM   #7
Rich Z
Although I can certainly see where a better name may be desirable, I see no choice but to stick with "Blood Red" for the near term.

As for the combinations of Lavender, Caramel, Butter, etc, with the patternless "Blood Red" cultivar, those, I expect, will wind up getting their own unique identifiers eventually.

Things are getting complicated in a hurry.

Look at the number of Hypo genes now and how each one may affect the existing cultivars. Heck, I got a big adult "Amber" corn from Mike Shiver that is based on the Ultra Hypo gene, and there is no way this animal is the same appearance as the Ambers I have been producing for years. So should this variation Mike created even be called "Amber" at all?

Extrapolate this out into all of the other genes we will be combining, and it will be mind boggling.

What this is boiling down to is this: Do we call animals that look the same as the same name, regardless of the genetics that make that look, or do we call animals that have the same genetic makeup by the same name regardless of what they look like?

Neither choice is likely to be very satisfactory nor long lasting as a complete answer.

Old 04-10-2004, 02:54 PM   #8
ecreipeoj
Bloodreds are Bloodreds and have been for as long as I have been in this hobby. I can not see myself breaking tradition and calling them anything else. It has been too long and is already a part of our Corn Snake language. When I hear Bloodred, it is as clear to me as amel, and there are a lot of variations within amels.

I feel as Rich does that new names will be created for multiple homos which include Bloodreds, such as Pewters and the Bloodred name may be dropped from some of them. We may be stuck with Anery Bloods forever, since Anery A seems to be unnamable.

I have also been troubled by the “Ultra” Ambers, being called basically the same thing as Ambers. They are not genetically compatible, but many people will think so. Talk about the mess we have with the hypos now. If we call morphs that look similar the same thing that are different genetically we are not going to have a clue to the compatibility of many morphs, especially with the double homo hypo morphs.

Another great example is the “Coral” Snows.. Coral Snows are Hypo Snows right? (Standard hypo Snows) I have created a Lava Snow, should it be called a “Coral” Snow. How about that incredible “Coral” Snow that Don S just posted? I am fairly sure, due to personal knowledge, that it is not homo for the Standard hypo, but another hypo that is still untested as to its compatibility to the other known Hypos. At this time, we have at least three corn snakes that could be called “Coral” Snows and some people are calling all of them that, but they are all incompatible. They will all produce snows when bred together, but not “Coral” Snows and will mix up the hypo genes involved in each one of them to a point it could never be figured out.

I feel strongly that each corn snake that is created should be named for its genetic make up, plus the look and not looks alone. The “Coral” Snow example just shows us that if we go down that path, it will explode in our faces in a very short time. It is not any different than if we called all hypos just hypos without acknowledging that they are incompatible. The double homos which include hypos have to be kept track of as well, or that is where we will loose control.

Old 04-10-2004, 03:55 PM   #9
Animal_gal
Yeah. What Rich just said.

Heck--a lot of them ARE red, and that's their name. Of course I call them bloodreds. Someone should come up with a new name, but what else do you call a certain kind of snake that comes in such different colors? Colorful Corns?

I don't know. Perhaps I should just leave now.

Old 04-10-2004, 05:46 PM   #10
Hurley
Quote:
Remember, this might be the largest corn snake forum on the WWW, but not the only one. Has anyone asked for suggestions over there?
Well, that is a thought. I personally have given up posting over there and from what I can see browsing through, I haven't missed much. There seems to be a small group of newbie bashers reigning royal over there who seem to live for some poor unsuspecting soul to screw up, admit it, and ask for help. It's sad because that forum was where I originally got most of my information and knowledge...now to see it reduced to bickering, flaming and very little useful or even interesting information is just unfortunate.

As far as I can tell, anyone with any rational thought process or level of morph knowledge that posts there is already here.

Do I think it should be posted over there? Sure, go for it...but it won't be by me. I'm not going to 'reward' the stupid games and censorship wars the owner of that site has wrapped himself in by posting, supporting, or frequenting his site. My own personal opinion and moral code, I guess. We all have to draw the line somewhere and I just can't support that.

***My tone here is not angry or flaming, just a statement of how I see it.***

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google