CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

religion and hybrids

Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #91
dave partington

^^^click for muzak
& this

Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #92
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMong View Post
LMAO!!....... I also got far more useful information out of it as well.

~Doug

Well... it was funny and a good change of pace.

Hearing the same viewpoint twelve or so different ways dosen't make it meaningful post. For me, it detract from it even more. Believe me, we all understand the view,since August 28 2012.

Welcome come to Cornsnakes.com

Old 05-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #93
DMong
The funny CAT stuff was the useful information.........

Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #94
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifullywild77 View Post
Actually, anyone can add just about anything to any thread. It doesn't matter if it is on topic or not. No one can mod a thread to stay on track..
Actually, if you have your own personal forum, yes you can mod the thread to stay on track. I suspect that this is one reason some people choose to have their own forum to moderate as they please.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #95
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:
Actually, anyone can add just about anything to any thread. It doesn't matter if it is on topic or not. No one can mod a thread to stay on track..

So if I want to turn this thread to pictures of cat memes I can do just that. Others could join in as well.
I totally agree with you in spirit. Didn't realize it sounded like I was not agreeing with you. I just meant to say that for me personally, I'd rather try to add to a thread rather than detract from it with what appears to be childish antics to me at least. I mean, if you don't want to discuss something then why even bother with posting cat memes or any other such nonsense? What purpose would it really serve other than to be self gratifying in some way.... For me, it is much more gratifying to actually try to add some substance or thought to a thread. Thats how we differ perhaps. I love to see others viewpoints and how their thought process evolves on a subject. Others, well they love to throw out cat memes rather than discuss or use any logic... it makes their head hurt too much to do so.

For me, thinking about how dogs are dogs and we have no problem breeding them lead me to thinking about how some purists seem to come from a conservationists/religious standpoint where it regards hybrid corn snakes. In the end though, we would never think about releasing domesticated dogs into the wild to replace their wild wolf/jackal counterparts. So, that kind of throws the whole conservationist plea against hybridizing right out the window where it concerns hybrids as neither hybrids nor designer corn snakes are being bred or selected for..... for their return to the wild.... by the average hobby breeder.

Hybridizing does not decrease the gene pool we have to work with in the hobby. It actually increases genetic diversity. When a male corn is bred to a cornduran. One can still turn right around and breed that same designer corn to another designer corn from a completely different local/locals. There is no loss in genetic diversity.

For me, it seems that those who can't debate or think logically or who don't wish to view a topic just seem to want to come in and clutter it up with cat memes, my head hurts, etc. Add something of substance... its much more challenging. Or, continue on with the silly antics.... To me, how one responds is simply a reflection of where a person is at that moment... a reflection if you will into how that person deals with real life situations even.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #96
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMong View Post
The funny CAT stuff was the useful information.........
I find it sad that is all you can come up with on the one hand. Interesting on the other that cat memes are the useful information to you on a thread clearly labeled religion and hybrids. I'd of thought some introspection into Leviticus 19:19 or some questioning on your part given your rich past and experience... I'd of thought you would have something more useful to add than merely... cat stuff... was useful. How was the cat stuff useful to you as regards this topic of religion and hybrids?

Old 05-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #97
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:

So if I want to turn this thread to pictures of cat memes I can do just that. Others could join in as well.
To think of it another way, can you imagine what would happen if I or another were to simply go around posting different memes that had no relation to the topic on every thread? Sure, it could be done on many perhaps.... but what would one seek to gain from such an act? What would the benefit be to you or the perpetrator of such an act? In one way, it kind of looks like a cry for attention. Its like, hey look at me. On the other hand, it shows that instead of engaging in intelligent discourse on a subject... the person appears to be unable to say anything of merit on a subject and yet... still felt the need to interject.... again, one has to ask... Why?

Any thoughts on how religion might affect ones view on hybrids or the concept of purity where it regards a species?

Old 05-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #98
beautifullywild77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Actually, if you have your own personal forum, yes you can mod the thread to stay on track. I suspect that this is one reason some people choose to have their own forum to moderate as they please.
Awe... I have noticed a lot of forum owners lock threads. This is something I should talk to the hubby about investing in.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #99
Carpe Serpentis
”First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
Mahatma Gandhi

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
Isaac Asimov

Is God willing to prevent hybrids, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh hybrids? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

If a snake can breed with another snake and produce fertile offspring then they were designed to do just that and who am I to question intelligent design by an omnipotent (all powerful) and omniscient (all knowing) being?

I think these are all valid phrases that should at the very least get some to thinking... bring on the memes and the ridicule. But there is a very real bias against hybrids that is reflected in biblical versus such as Leviticus 19:19

"'Keep my decrees. "'Do not mate different kinds of animals. "'Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. "'Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. NIV

"Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee." King James Version

""Observe my statutes. "You are not to let your cattle breed with a different species. "You are not to sow your fields with two different kinds of seeds. "You are not to wear clothing made from two different kinds of material." ISV

When I hear purists and others who talk about how dogs are dogs... to each their own kind and all that conservationists muckity muck... I have to think... who is thinking that we are going to reintroduce domestic dogs to replace their wild wolf and jackal kind? Who thinks we are going to reintroduce designer corn snakes or hybrid snakes to replace their wild counterparts? It just doesn't make sense to think of hybrids or designer snakes any differently than one would a domesticated dog in so far as one would never think of replacing wolves with dogs in the wild as a valid conservationist attempt.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #100
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Serpentis View Post
”First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
Mahatma Gandhi

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
Isaac Asimov

Is God willing to prevent hybrids, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh hybrids? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

If a snake can breed with another snake and produce fertile offspring then they were designed to do just that and who am I to question intelligent design by an omnipotent (all powerful) and omniscient (all knowing) being?

I think these are all valid phrases that should at the very least get some to thinking... bring on the memes and the ridicule. But there is a very real bias against hybrids that is reflected in biblical versus such as Leviticus 19:19

"'Keep my decrees. "'Do not mate different kinds of animals. "'Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. "'Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. NIV

"Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee." King James Version

""Observe my statutes. "You are not to let your cattle breed with a different species. "You are not to sow your fields with two different kinds of seeds. "You are not to wear clothing made from two different kinds of material." ISV

When I hear purists and others who talk about how dogs are dogs... to each their own kind and all that conservationists muckity muck... I have to think... who is thinking that we are going to reintroduce domestic dogs to replace their wild wolf and jackal kind? Who thinks we are going to reintroduce designer corn snakes or hybrid snakes to replace their wild counterparts? It just doesn't make sense to think of hybrids or designer snakes any differently than one would a domesticated dog in so far as one would never think of replacing wolves with dogs in the wild as a valid conservationist attempt.
Allying yourself with Ghandi? Are you going to quote Martin Luther King next to support your views? Given that you really, really, really like hybrids and that this is a snake site, why not find breeders who support hybridisation as good sources to quote from?
I do personally like this speech, even if it is from a fictional character I believe it's more pertinent to the subject at hand......
Dr. Ian Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now
[bangs on the table]
Dr. Ian Malcolm: you're selling it, you wanna sell it. Well...
John Hammond: I don't think you're giving us our due credit. Our scientists have done things which nobody's ever done before...
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google