• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How pure must a corn be to be truely pure?

Airenlow, I will give you that it is often times hard to discern subtle nuances on a forum such as this. Dates have little to do with intent. I love that I'm your sweetheart now. It means so much when someone confers on you the title sweetheart in earnest. Think I'll take that:cheers:

Though, I must confess when someone disparages a name however slightly I take that at its face when combined with past history. I'm also quick to forgive as life is too short not to allow for such a blessing as forgiveness.

To be honest, your calling me sweetheart. Reminds me of two stories, one of which I can tell on a forum such as this. A Drill Instructor had two of my uncles in the same platoon in boot camp. When the D.I. called out for mail call and didn't specify which one... well Jessie had to ask. Needless to say, when the D.I. echoed back, Jessica Sweetheart it was a bit comical. This was back in the Vietnam era. Jessie went circling around the platoon to get his mail biting his tongue and then... the D.I. threw his mail on the ground just as he was reaching out for it. Well, Jessie bent down and grabbed his mail. He also came back up with an upper cut that knocked that D.I. out in one punch.

But what about the rare rubbersnake? It's made of rubber.

Yes, rare but certainly worth having. It's not "low maintenance" like a Corn Snake, rather it's "no maintenance," because it's rubber...and definitely not a hybrid.

IMG_5851.JPG

More food for thought when trying to decide when something becomes pure one must also consider what constitutes a species in the first place. The below article for those interested in reading it covers some interesting ground.
"The nature of species is controversial in biology and philosophy. Biologists disagree on the definition of the term ‘species,’ and philosophers disagree over the ontological status of species. Yet a proper understanding of species is important for a number of reasons. Species are the fundamental taxonomic units of biological classification. Environmental laws are framed in terms of species. Even our conception of human nature is affected by our understanding of species. In this entry, three issues concerning species are discussed. The first is the ontological status of species. The second is whether biologists should be species pluralists or species monists. The third is whether the theoretical term ‘species’ refers to a real category in nature."

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/species/

Yes, rare but certainly worth having. It's not "low maintenance" like a Corn Snake, rather it's "no maintenance," because it's rubber...and definitely not a hybrid.

IMG_5851.JPG

Ooh, do they have a latex-free variety for those with allergies? My auntie has issues and I'd hate for her to puff up and die from a snake.

Actually that snake is a cutie pie too.

Ooh that would be excellent to get a blue one! And do you need to keep them on a powdered substrate?

Oh, I wonder if Nitrile snakes come in blue & purple.

If I were going that route, I think I would prefer one that was rainbow colored with hot pinks, bright oranges, sky blues, cherry reds, etc. The temperament would have to be laid back, calm, cool, and collected. A nice striped pattern.... that would be the ticket. Feeder mice would be one solid color, but varying colors for different days. The snakes hide would have to be a richly colored apple of gigantic proportions and a voice box with a few key words or phrases installed in our rubber snake as well. I mean, why have a rubber snake as a pet if it can't also talk?

If I were to hybridize a chamaleon and and and and and and and and and and and and and a corn snake I would lable them as pure hybrid. Just an FYI.

If I were going that route, I think I would prefer one that was rainbow colored with hot pinks, bright oranges, sky blues, cherry reds, etc. The temperament would have to be laid back, calm, cool, and collected. A nice striped pattern.... that would be the ticket. Feeder mice would be one solid color, but varying colors for different days. The snakes hide would have to be a richly colored apple of gigantic proportions and a voice box with a few key words or phrases installed in our rubber snake as well. I mean, why have a rubber snake as a pet if it can't also talk?

Good point! I would like to also program it to be a security snake. It would be awesome to let a big old rubber snake patrol the house!

If I were to hybridize a chamaleon and and and and and and and and and and and and and a corn snake I would lable them as pure hybrid. Just an FYI.

How pure does a hybrid need to be to be a pure hybrid? You might as well toss in some chicken in this hybrid of yours as well. A winged corn snake. Now how cool would that one be? Hybrids toss in so much more variety. Hybrids are the spice of life.

I like the idea of a programmed security snake as well. Albeit, I'd pick different colors for my security snake. Probably fire engine red, charcoal black, banana yellow and opal white.

"The founder (discoverer) of the Ultra mutation states that he originally paired a grey rat snake with a corn snake, in the discovery of this mutation. By the time most of us were made aware of the HYBRID origins of Ultra types (originally named Ultra Hypos), we had already bred it into many other corn snake mutations. It was therefore collectively decided that in so much as it would be virtually impossible to track down (and eliminate) each and every snake containing the Ultra gene (surely thousands of individuals in the collections of hundreds of breeders and keepers), the mutation would be treated like other pure corns." http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/ultra.php
To me this gives us some insight into how pure a corn snake must be to be considered pure.

What I find of interesting note, is that there are many hybrids that have been produced between corn snakes and milks, kings, etc., but if we are to look at this site...
http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/?sid=

Only a very few are listed.... those of the grey and great plains ratsnake.
I take this as odd as there are a great many more hybrids out there, but these hybrids listed seem to be those that have garnered more acceptance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_snake
"Ultra Ultra is a hypomelanistic-like gene that is an allele to the amelanistic gene. Ultra corn snakes have light grey lines in place of black. The Ultra gene is derived from the grey rat snake. All Ultras and Ultramels have some amount of grey rat snake in them."

"History: There is alot of contraversity surrounding the Ultra hypo on whether it is a pure cornsnake or a hybrid Cornsnake crossed with a Grey Ratsnake, Pantherophis obsoletus spiloides. The original snake that started this line was wild caught in Hillsborough County, Tampa, Florida; by whom no one is sure but this animal came into the possesion of Mike Falcon in the early 90's. He described the snake as having unusual colouration, with very little black and was very yellow. Mike Falcon has said that he bred the original 'Ultra' Corn to both Normal Corns and to a Snow x Grey/Corn cross. It would then appear that there are Ultra's out there that are of hybrid origin and those that are pure. A long debate on this, and one that tries to unravel both the history and inheritance of this cultivar can be found on Cornsnakes.com. The Ultra history is very patchy and probably will never be known for sure. " http://www.ratsnakefoundation.org/i...des/cornsnake-morph-guide/333-ultra-cornsnake

Back