CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Do you know this frog?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Chromatic Corns
Do you know this frog?

Not a field observation but a rescue of sorts. Local pet store chain had several of these show up with the feeders (I'm assuming fish). They dumped them in tank with large frogs and tadpoles, this guy is smaller than a dime. Several of his fellows were in there stuck to filter dead. he was all alone on an island surrounded by the larger predators... so of course I took him (they gave him to me for free). No idea what it is though. belly is white, no spots. Back appears gray with some reddish color. I am getting flightless fruit flies for it tomorrow.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Alli_Draggy
What a cutie! He almost looks like a baby leopard in color (the spots get clearer as they get bigger), but even my smallest baby was bigger than he is. It looks like he still has a bit of a tail bump, so he's probably just moving over to insects. And it's a good thing you brought him home, because frogs will happily attempt to eat smaller froglets and tadpoles.

I agree that flightless fruit flies or tiny pinhead crickets are your best bet-in general, the rule of thumb with frogs is that the prey should be about the distance between your eyes.

Hopefully you'll find out more about the little guy.

Make sure you have a good lid-it's amazing how far little frogs can jump, how well even non-tree frogs can manage to climb, and how small of a crack they can squeeze through.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
beautifullywild77
Maybe a Chorus Frog?

Old 06-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
beautifullywild77
er wait, wrong side of the US.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Chromatic Corns
I think the feeders get shipped up from Florida. Its not a leopard. I'm only familiar with the NJ chorus frog and that's the only thing I'm sure of, it's not a Jersey frog, lol. It was walking like my stepdad's poison dart frogs used did. It hops too but you can see in the first pic how it's standing up.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Alli_Draggy
Could he be a coqui? They're invasive in FL, are tiny even when full grown, and are almost solid red-brown with pale tummies as adults. They're mostly tree dwellers, so the dart-frog type gait and long legs would be reasonable.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Chromatic Corns
I think the nose is too rounded to be a coqui. It has a blunt nose

Old 06-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
Chromatic Corns
Maybe the nose will get pointed as he grows

Old 06-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
fyrefocks
We've never met, no.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
hikisquid
Is it a spring peeper? It looks super close to the darker ones I'd catch growing up. They are adorable little critters!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google