• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Do you know this frog?

Chromatic Corns

Just one more
Not a field observation but a rescue of sorts. Local pet store chain had several of these show up with the feeders (I'm assuming fish). They dumped them in tank with large frogs and tadpoles, this guy is smaller than a dime. Several of his fellows were in there stuck to filter dead. he was all alone on an island surrounded by the larger predators... so of course I took him (they gave him to me for free). No idea what it is though. belly is white, no spots. Back appears gray with some reddish color. I am getting flightless fruit flies for it tomorrow.

Attachments

• frog 001.jpg
    frog 001.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 108
  • frog 006.jpg
    frog 006.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 108
  • frog 011.jpg
    frog 011.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 108
  • frog 003.jpg
    frog 003.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 108
What a cutie! He almost looks like a baby leopard in color (the spots get clearer as they get bigger), but even my smallest baby was bigger than he is. It looks like he still has a bit of a tail bump, so he's probably just moving over to insects. And it's a good thing you brought him home, because frogs will happily attempt to eat smaller froglets and tadpoles.

I agree that flightless fruit flies or tiny pinhead crickets are your best bet-in general, the rule of thumb with frogs is that the prey should be about the distance between your eyes.

Hopefully you'll find out more about the little guy.

Make sure you have a good lid-it's amazing how far little frogs can jump, how well even non-tree frogs can manage to climb, and how small of a crack they can squeeze through.

I think the feeders get shipped up from Florida. Its not a leopard. I'm only familiar with the NJ chorus frog and that's the only thing I'm sure of, it's not a Jersey frog, lol. It was walking like my stepdad's poison dart frogs used did. It hops too but you can see in the first pic how it's standing up.

Could he be a coqui? They're invasive in FL, are tiny even when full grown, and are almost solid red-brown with pale tummies as adults. They're mostly tree dwellers, so the dart-frog type gait and long legs would be reasonable.

Is it a spring peeper? It looks super close to the darker ones I'd catch growing up. They are adorable little critters!

Yes, I believe I know that frog. I think his name is Wally.

Sorry I just couldn't resist that any longer...

Back