CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My first lock

Old 05-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #31
67temp
I did. The original plan was to wait till after they shed. On a whim I wanted to test one to see if it was interested in eating. That one didn't waste any time. The new born pinkies barely left any bulge in the baby corns. Next time I'm just going to wait.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #32
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
I did. The original plan was to wait till after they shed. On a whim I wanted to test one to see if it was interested in eating. That one didn't waste any time. The new born pinkies barely left any bulge in the baby corns. Next time I'm just going to wait.
I was just curious. I used to offer first meal right after their first shed, but I started waiting a week after they shed to offer, and I saw an increase in those who ate, and they typically become consistent eaters.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #33
67temp
I'm still learning as I go. So you wait roughly 2 weeks after hatching to offer? Have you found if prey size makes a difference in their willingness to eat? Ie a pinkie that is probably a few hours old vs one that is a few days old? Roughly what % of a clutch do you get that accepts their first meal?

Old 05-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #34
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
I'm still learning as I go. So you wait roughly 2 weeks after hatching to offer? Have you found if prey size makes a difference in their willingness to eat? Ie a pinkie that is probably a few hours old vs one that is a few days old? Roughly what % of a clutch do you get that accepts their first meal?
Yes, it is about 2 weeks after they hatch before I offer their first meal. They absorb the yoke from the egg when they hatch, and they're not always hungry right after they shed. Sometimes it can create a problem eater if offered too soon and they get in the habit of declining food.
I use day old pinkies with hatchlings, and move up as they become established and start to grow.
I have had 100% eating their first meal when I started waiting, sometimes all but one, maybe two will eat their first meal.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #35
Dennis Gulla
Awesome! Keep us updated with pictures!

Old 05-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #36
67temp
A few pictures of some of the babies.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #37
Dennis Gulla
Thank you for sharing!

Old 07-13-2019, 05:59 AM   #38
67temp
Day 67 of incubation for my 2nd clutch. First one out looks to be a caramel miami 100% het for sunkissed and bloodred.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Old 07-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #39
MysticExotics
Congrats!

Old 07-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #40
SnakeCreations
how exciting!! Congrats!

-Tonya

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google