CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Do I increase feeding size?

Old 04-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
smale492
Do I increase feeding size?

So I have been feeding my 1 year old (gonna be 2 in july) blizzard cornsnake hopper mice. He has been eating them with ease and it still leaves a pretty noticeable bulge along his body. It is not huge but you can still see where the mouse is for sure. I feed him one every week and he poops fine and has adequate water at all times. I was feeding him today and decided to weigh him before feeding since I got a new scale since I lost my old one... I weighed his feeding tub at 521 grams... added him and it said 666 grams (which is ironic because his name is hades).

Being 145 grams is a shocker to me but it makes sense with how readily he just chomps on the hopper mice even though it does take him a little bit to get down sometimes.

I read on a chart that I should be feeding weenlings at this point but I am not sure since he still seems to bulge out with the hoppers and still is rather slow sometimes eating one (not too terribly slow though)

I dont want to be under feeding him and tbh I am not sure if petco even sells weenlings... any advice would be great so I know what to try for his next feeding

I would attach a picture but litteraly every time I try to my stupid google chrome crashes... I hate my computer

Old 04-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Dragonling
I start pulling out the smallest weanlings I have for snakes hitting around 125-150g still on hoppers. It doesn't hurt to wait a little while longer before moving him up if you're having to buy small numbers of mice at a time. Check the weights on the package. Weaned mice should be somewhere around 14-18g and may be labeled as "small adult" or something similar.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
smale492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I start pulling out the smallest weanlings I have for snakes hitting around 125-150g still on hoppers. It doesn't hurt to wait a little while longer before moving him up if you're having to buy small numbers of mice at a time. Check the weights on the package. Weaned mice should be somewhere around 14-18g and may be labeled as "small adult" or something similar.
Ok yeah he seems to be ok on hoppers right now and I dont want to give him something too big.. but for his weight I dont want to under feed him. Yeah I didnt see weenlings at petco or where I can get them but I will look the next time I go.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
Dragonling
I don't know PetCo's supplier, but for PetSmart's Arctic Mice, hoppers are labeled as "small," weanlings "medium," and adults "large."

Old 05-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
redrocklobster
To jump on this thread. Mine is about 2 1/2 years old and has been eating the small mice about weekly. She's always been a bit runty: skinny but has grown in length in the 9 months I've had her. Maybe she's 3 feet long now, grown from about 2 ft?

Anyway about time to order some new frozen mice and I'd rather order in quanity of 50. Should I go for medium now or stick with small?

Old 05-26-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
My snake was eating large mice (they weighed roughly 24 to 30 grams ea.) at 3 feet long.

A growing snake (one that is not yet adult, but still young and growing) can eat 10% to 13% of its body weight in food per feeding. I used 12% when Rufus was still growing as it's in the middle of 10 & 13.

Weigh the snake x 12% = food amount.

If your snake weighs 40 grams, you'd feed about 4 to 5 grams of mouse. If your snake weighs 150 grams you'd feed 18 gram mice....etc... up to the point they are eating about 30 gram mice which would be at about 250 grams. At that point you just continue feeding that size as your snake is pretty well grown and you don't want it to get fat.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
redrocklobster
Thanks, good tip. Will weigh her.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google