CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Calling the TESSERA EXPERTS!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #21
Nanci
My observations are in purple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicorn View Post

In this photo of what is labeled an Amber stripe/motley Tessera, I see a "bigger" head pattern, elongated distally/caudally down the neck, with a clear disconnect at the neck, before resuming and continuing down the spine. In my experience, it is rare for there to be this space between the head pattern and the main stripe, in a non-Tessera, Stripe animal.

Amber stripe/motley Tessera

In this photo of what is labeled a normal amber stripe, I see a reduced head pattern that continues down the neck without a break between the head pattern and the neck. In my experience, admittedly not equal to yours, that signifies Stripe.

normal stripe (amber)

Old 08-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #22
SODERBERGD
Martin's Amber . . . .

Martin's Amber is DEFINITELY a Tessera. Since the dorsal zone between dorso-lateral striping obviously exists because of the bounding dorso-lateral stripes, relating to that zone as a stripe is synonymous with striping that refers to the darker dorso-lateral stripes. Therefore, if the ground color zone we see between the stripes is obvious on the tail, it can be said that the stripe IS on the tail. A relatively uni-colored tail would be one I'd say did not have the striping. Keep in mind that the reason I focused on the dorsal tail markings is because I have NEVER seen a non-Tessera Striped Mutant that exhibited striping on the tail. That's what first impressed me about the Tesseras; that the stripe want past their girdle. That said, an often perplexing collateral impact on non-Tessera siblings is a dramatic exaggeration of their color and pattern. This will surely result in some non-Tesseras having perfect striping to their tail tips.

I spelled that out to qualify why I'm virtually certain Martin's Amber IS a Tessera. Just because the dorso-lateral stripes waned at the tail, the zone between stripes was still evident. Naturally, it's only my guess that this is a Striped-type Tessera, but it's an experienced one. I should have been paying closer attention - since I have produced over 1,700 Tesseras. You'd think I'd recall what their head/neck markings were, but honestly, I think the reason I wasn't paying attention to the nuchal markings is because I found the tail marking to be a more reliable marker for Tessera. Yes, there are exceptions to everything (both tail and neck), I've had more reliable results (100% so far) by judging tail markings. I'll start paying closer attention to the neck markings in the future.

All said, it's clear that we don't fully understand the Tessera mutation. Naturally, we all know which snakes in a brood are Aneries or Amels, but we're just now at the point where our heads are gonna hurt in trying to discern between this new mutation and its look-alikes. Too many look-alikes in our hobby these days. Will there be definitive markers for Tesseras? Perhaps not, but so far, the tail markings have been pretty good indicators for me. Ohhhh, about the tail markings? Some Striped and Striped Motley Tesseras that have waning or pale markings (I HATE the word vanishing) and/or don't have melanin - do not have defined striping - and some don't have discernible stripes at all. THOSE rascals will always be frustrating; are they Striped-type mutants or Striped-type Tessera mutants??? Uuuuhhhgggghhhhhhhh.

In conclusion, discerning between Striped-type mutants and Striped-type Tessera mutants has been the most frustrating thing I've ever experienced in this hobby. Since there must obviously be both among respective progeny when Stripe and Tessera are involved--which ones are Striped-type corns and which are Striped-type Tesseras? Since the common collateral impact of improving pattern on non-Tessera siblings exists, how do we tell them apart?

I'm being redundant. Time to get back to washing dishes and cages.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #23
ecreipeoj
Motley Tessera

I am going to respectfully disagree with everybody, except for the one listed as a Motley/Striped Tess, is a Motley Tess.

My original Tess was not het for Motley OR Striped, so with each breeding, I knew if I was adding Striped OR Motley.

This first photo is from an Anery Tessera het Striped Dilute x Blue Motley het Striped. I recovered Motleys, Stripes and Motley Tesseras het for Striped, as well as Tesseras.

The rest of the photos are of Striped Tesseras, from a breeding between a Tessera het Striped Lavender X Striped het Opal. I also bred an Anery Tessera het Striped Dilute x Striped Blue with the same results. I only produced Tesseras and Striped Tesseras from these clutches.

Each of these Corn Snake breeders, I produced, and it is known if they carry Striped or Motley. I believe the first photos shows a Motley Tessera, and the rest are the only possibility for a Striped Tessera in my opinion.

Tessera "Improves" ALL morphs, including Non-Tess Striped and Non-Tess Motley, giving them a more complete pattern.

If the Motley Tessera pheno has been mis-identified in the beginning as I believe, each time you breed a "Striped" Tessera, which is actually a Motley Tessera x Striped, you will reproduce the Motley Tessera as Motley/Striped Tessera and continue the mistake.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #24
airenlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreipeoj View Post
I am going to respectfully disagree with everybody...
Shocker! Hey, I thought they were just jungle corns anyway...

Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
fyrefocks
Joe, I can see tessera in the 3 snakes in your first picture, but your other 3 pictures all just look like really nice stripes to me.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #26
Nanci
Joe, in the first photo, going from left to right, heads, what are those?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #27
Tom Tuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
Yeah I'm confused too. If they derived from striped cali kings as some folks theorise, then wouldn't they ALL be het stripe??

Here are my results from homo Striped Tess/ het Caramel x Striped motley amel/ caramel breeding this year. I refer to the dam as striped motley as she is visually stripe. 10 eggs total 9 went full term.

Sire

Breeding

Clutch

Old 08-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
I believe they are Striped Super Jungle Corns, with as near 100% Corn Snake blood as they can get.

I think Tesseras are the most exciting addition to our Corn Snake gene pool EVER! The way we got them is unfortunate, but they produce Corn Snake combines that we have never seen before, and improve all other combines.

If anybody really believes that our general Corn Snake gene pool is pure corn, you are living a fantasy.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #29
Tom Tuttle
Topaz Motleyx Tessera/ het stripe

More results. This topaz male proved homo motley.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #30
Tom Tuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreipeoj View Post
I believe they are Striped Super Jungle Corns, with as near 100% Corn Snake blood as they can get.

I think Tesseras are the most exciting addition to our Corn Snake gene pool EVER! The way we got them is unfortunate, but they produce Corn Snake combines that we have never seen before, and improve all other combines.

If anybody really believes that our general Corn Snake gene pool is pure corn, you are living a fantasy.

Aren't they all het striped then?????????

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google