CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Sad Accident. Advice?

Old 01-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #81
gardenmum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson

Sorry about that. "Thanks people" sounds kinda stiff; "Thanks guys and gals" is offensive to some; and "Thanks guys and womyn" is so cumbersome.

Actually, the term "guys" doesn't bother me. We use it all the time here with it meaning "everyone" when we say it. We just don't think if it in a male sense anymore. lol.

But, Dean, maybe using the all or everyone would help you out. AND...Ummm....womYn?????

Old 01-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #82
Bobo's Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnakekid92
I just had something similar happen to me that someone had poster earlier, My 13' sand boa
Wow! A 13 foot sand boa? Dang that's big!

Old 01-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #83
bribrian
Don't forget the update Dean !!!

Old 01-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #84
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmum
But, Dean, maybe using the all or everyone would help you out. AND...Ummm....womYn?????
I've never seen it written like that. In a way, it's kind of cool, if unsubtle.

Bill Update: Checked him out a few minutes ago. He has pooped, and it appears normal. I took some pics of him, and the flash got him moving around, and tongue-flicking as usual. The shot where his head is completely sideways, against his body, is how I found him resting. I tried to be objective in evaluating his movement, but I'm pretty sure that I saw maybe a 20-25% increase in range of motion. In a few of the shots you can see that his head is almost level. His neck/head movements are still jerky, as if he's straining against something. I was also worried about his water-bowl access, so I poured a tiny bit of water into a Pringle's lid, and left it for him. When I looked a few minutes later, he was drinking it.

So I don't know where he'll end up, but he seemed genuinely to have been a little better today. Sometimes things are more apparent in photos than they are to the naked eye. With this in mind, I had some anxiety looking at the photos. Except for the head tilt, I'm not seeing anything else unusual in the pics. Hopefully some of the vets, vet techs, and other qualified people around here can tell me if there is something I'm missing. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #85
gardenmum
Looks like he has handled his awful ordeal pretty well. He may have a 'bit of a tilt' all his life, but won't affect his marriage activities I'm sure. Hopefully he'll stay in good health now.

Thanks for the update and the pictures. I am sure you were relieved to see he seemed better.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #86
Preita
The first picture looks alarming, but the other two look pretty good. You do see a tilt but it's not at a right angle or anything.

He's proving to you how tough he can be (even though he's not one of your 05 jumbos )

Best of luck!!!

Old 01-12-2006, 06:41 PM   #87
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmum
Looks like he has handled his awful ordeal pretty well. He may have a 'bit of a tilt' all his life, but won't affect his marriage activities I'm sure. Hopefully he'll stay in good health now.

Thanks for the update and the pictures. I am sure you were relieved to see he seemed better.
Yeah, I'm somewhat relieved. I think he's going to live, but I guess that really depends on whether he can resume feeding. I won't be making the attempt until the middle of next week at the earliest, so we'll see how that goes. If when all is said and done, a head tilt and "performance issues" are the only residual problems, I'll be happy with that. I think my female blizzard will be busy with various blood-combo males for a couple of years anyway, so he can be babied through as long a convalescence as he needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prieta
The first picture looks alarming, but the other two look pretty good. You do see a tilt but it's not at a right angle or anything.

He's proving to you how tough he can be (even though he's not one of your 05 jumbos )

Best of luck!!!
Thanks. I agree about the first pic. When I opened the tub, he was like that. I suppose that he probably adopted a position that put the least strain on his injury, but it was alarming to me too until he started moving.

And yeah, he seems pretty tough. He is a very slow grower. I can't imagine that his revised diet of infrequently offered, single, small pinks is going to help in that area.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #88
Preita
maybe his brush with death will turn him around?

Old 01-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #89
ultimuttone
I am so glad to see he is doing better! I can imagine how relieved you are. We'll all be hoping his feeding goes well next week and looking for more updates .

Old 01-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #90
Kat
I'll add my own little stupid oversight story. One year in a pet store, I found these little rodent waterdishes with the cutouts on the side... This made them an ideal waterdish for baby cornsnakes, since they could hide underneath. I bought a whole mess of them, rinsed them off, and used them for my hatchlings that year.

The next year, I went to re-use them. Being in a hurry, I ran them through the dishwasher instead of spraying and wiping them down. Unfortunately, the UPC sticker was on the bottom of the waterdish, and while the paper part of the sticker dissolved completely, the glue remained. I put the dishes in the hatchling containers when I set them up, and went about my normal snakekeeping. A couple days later, I was surprised to find out that none of the hatchlings had touched the mice I'd given them the night before. I disposed of the pinks and went to change the water... only to find hatchlings stuck to the bottoms of most of the water dishes. It took lots of careful work to free them, and I think some of them were too traumatized to start feeding and starved to death.

Needless to say, I don't use waterdish-hides with any sort of sticker on the underside anymore. (Most of my hatchlings drink out of little glass condiment dishes now...)

-Kat

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google