CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Being hyper prepared is good, right? (New person.)

Old 04-05-2016, 05:56 AM   #1
cinnabunbun
Being hyper prepared is good, right? (New person.)

First off, sorry for lurking so much. Hi I'm Vivi, and I'm new to this community 8D; if that doesn't make it awkward enough...

I'm planning to have my first corn snake this month from the Repticon up in LA! Hoping to pick up a juvi to start off with, and if I'm lucky enough, find one in Blizzard or anery morph. My supplies to set up his enclosure are still in transit (yay for Amazon.) so I will be needing some feedback and advice on how to properly set it up. I currently have a 15qt/sweater Sterilite box + binder clips all around. I got a handful of questions but that will be in a different thread!

A bit about me, I love animals, specifically rabbits, but I think snakes are cute too! I work night shifts, I like to play video games, watch cartoons and anime, and I draw from time to time. However, I'm kind of shy half the time, but I'll do my best to be a peaceful member! x_x;

Old 04-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
axis1
Welcome!!!

Since no one said welcome, I'll jump in!

In terms of being "hyper prepared," I guess it depends who you ask, but in MY case it's like preaching to the choir! OCD is just one of many diagnoses I carry with me, however, it CAN be adaptive in certain lines of work (I happen to be a social worker in NYC) and a blessing when caring for pets! Being prepared is something your animals would THANK YOU for if they were able to speak, I'm sure of it!

Bit of a jump from rabbits to reptiles though, isn't it? But I can identify with being an animal lover of most species, that is (not too keen on certain types of crustaceans, insects, and smaller, but to each his own and live and let live is how I like to think and behave, except when it comes to food, there is no way I could EVER be a vegetarian, but that's ME and I try my hardest not to judge others for it, unless they become hypocritical, like someone who calls themselves an animal lover but declaws their cats to protect their precious furniture - TOLD YOU OCD was just ONE of my diagnoses!! LOL!! But I didn't mention tangential thoughts and attention deficit disorder, among others huh?)

Sorry I can't give you good advice on housing. Since I became aware that corns only use one of their lungs to breathe, I purchased a nylon, screen mesh type of enclosure with a sophisticated heating system too complicated for most snake owners, but speaking of obsessive, well do I need to say more? The most important thing (my opinion) is to have a variance of temps that a snake can choose between cool (65-70 degrees F) to warm (85-90 degrees F) with hides in both temperature-controlled areas. The ideal setup would include thermostats or temp-controlled switches but it's not necessary if you have a dependable system by which you monitor the temps on at least two sides of the viv. Also, not certain I read that correctly, but a "15qt/sweater Sterilite box" doesn't sound like it would be large enough for a juvenile for long, though more experienced members can cover that.

In any event, WELCOME!

Old 04-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
cinnabunbun
Thank you very much for the welcome~ that made my morning!

I honestly just really like animals, except for ones with a lot of legs and can probably kill me. I'd still get myself a bunny but I'll just have to see where my future lead me to. And I definitely agree with you! Prevention is the best medicine.

It has been a while since my intro post. So quick update. I do have what seems to be a hatchling snow corn named Leviathan or Levi for short. The Tub set up is going good but I am yet again plagued with high humidity. I did get a good deal on a sliding lock 20gal tank when I got Levi from the show so I'm going to work on accommodating him and move him in there this weekend. He did just ate on Sunday. Weighing 10g right now. And well. I really like him!

Old 04-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #4
Dragonling
Apparently I've been missing some intro posts...welcome! Glad things are going well with Levi so far. You should post some pics if you get a chance. We'd love to see him.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
DollysMom
Add me to the missed post list. Believe me, no one around here would purposely ignore a post like yours!

The screen lid will definitely solve the humidity problem.

A belated official welcome thread welcome to you and Levi!

Old 04-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
cinnabunbun
I don't mind at all! Honestly, I'm that kid in class that'll choke up when it's my turn to introduce myself.

Pictures of Levi is a must. I just haven't been able to because I have bad lighting at night. I can't wait to move him in a more comfortable home though, just need to go shopping a bit more to clutter up the cage.

The screen lid doesn't really lock. It's a pin in hole type of deal. I did check for any gaps and it's all good but I'm still leery about random escapes.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
blacktip
Did you get him at the show at the Orange County Fairgrounds? We went on Friday and there was one guy there that had a nice little selection of corns, including spectors and heliconias. It was nice to see someone at a socal show that really knew his stuff. Anyways congrats on your new baby. It probably won't be long before you want another one. These guys are like pringles...you can't stop at just one.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #8
cinnabunbun
Yes I did! I went on Saturday since I had work on Friday. I met that guy, I didn't like him too much, he assumed that I was a breeder and questioned me on why I want a snow morph. :\ I got Levi from Scales Exotics, really nice ladies!

And Hah.. It depends on space and money!

Old 04-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #9
DollysMom
Take it from one who lost a beloved snake to a tragic escape from an insecure cover, secure it.

If you can push up on it or if there is any latch your snake can access, it is an escape waiting to happen. While many are found some never are. They can get though gaps you wouldn't believe.

In my case, it was a latch my snake youngster turned from the inside. I miss him every day.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #10
cinnabunbun
D'you think he could push the pin out? I did bought a luggage strap, and I could wrap it around the top. I don't want to use tape at all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
introduction