CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

never moves from cooler side?

Old 05-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
LittleL
never moves from cooler side?

After being advised to move my heat mat to underneath the tank (i was originally advised by my pet shop to place it on the side of the tank!).. i have now moved the heat mat to 1/3 under the tank and i've brought a mat-stat thermostat and digital thermometer.. i have the warmer side to a temperture approx around 82-87f and the cooler side to around 72-75f...

I've noticed that my corn snake curls up and hides under the aspen and his waterbowl on the cooler side of the tank all the time and doesn't moved for a whole day!?!

Is it normal for him to stay on the cooler side of the tank and not to move too and from the wamer side to the cooler side to regulate his body temperture??

Is the warmer side too hot do you think? any comments?

Im just wondering if it's normal for him to curl up in one spot (on the cooler side of the tank) and for him not to move from there for a day or two?!

please advise

Laura

Old 05-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Nanci
Normal! The snake will go wherever it wants- as long as there are hides in both places.

Do you mean the UTH covers 1/3 of the bottom of the viv, or 1/3 of the UTH is under the viv? Because it should cover 1/3 of the bottom of the viv, with no UTH sticking out.

Nanci

Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
LittleL
the UTH cover 1/3 of the bottom of the tank and the only bit that sticks out slightly is the clear plastic around the edge of the heat mat... im assuming thats acceptable?

Does my temps seem ok for the cooler and warmer sides??

There is a hiding place in both the cooler and warmer end.

Laura

Old 05-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
Nanci
I think that's ok.

Nanci

Old 05-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
LittleL
Thanks Nanci, much appreciated

Laura

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google